Setting SQL Agent Proxy Account

• Recently I have migrated some SQL 7 databases to SQL 2000 (I hear you all saying about time!)  We currently BCP data out of these onto a floppy drive for transfer to another system. This works fine on SQL 7.

On SQL 2k, BOL tells you to run xp_sqlagent_proxy_account to setup a non Adminstrative account the ability to run xp_cmdshell.  Fine in theory. 

xpstar.dll is the dll that is referenced by this xp. The version that was installed with SQL2k out of the box is fine, you can run the xp, passing the username, password and domain name and it executes, creating an adminstrator account a proxy account that can be used by the xp_cmdshell if the user doesn't have the permissions.

Roll up to any Service Pack (I installed SP4) and bam, it fails, returning an error, 'The system cannot find the path specified'.

I can't find anything on Microsoft, surprise, but I have found that if you replace the new xpstar.dll with the old one, it is fine. I have tried replacing the dll with SP3a dll, but it fails there too.

Anyone have any other info on this?

• From BOL

Important If you choose to use a Windows NT account that is not a member of the local administrator's group for the MSSQLServer service, users who are not members of the sysadmin fixed server role cannot execute xp_cmdshell.

Tim S

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply