Setting Max Degree of Parallelism

• Hello all,

What are some considerations or best practices for parallelism on a reporting server. I seem to be having problems with large reports using up all the processors (of which there are 16), and creating blocks and time-outs for items in the queue.

Thanks,

DK

• My recommendation for a server with 16 CPUs is no more than half, so:

sp_configure 'max degree of parallelism',8

reconfigure with override

If you examine the wait stats on your server, I suspect parallel query wait (CXPACKET) will be your highest. Try lowering the MaxDOP, resetting the wait stats and monitor.

• nivek-224024,

Thanks for the quick reply! It was extremely helpful.

DK

• Even on a reporting server you might want to consider changing the defaul threshold for parallelism to a higher number. I wouldn't go as high as on an OLTP system, but the default value of 5 is a little low That could help.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant,

Thanks for the advice, I am still working it out. Why wouldn't you set it as high as a OLTP? Sorry if that was too open-ended.

DK

• Well, on an OLTP system, typically the cost of splitting the query across several CPUs, executing, then bringing the results back together would actually be a more expensive (time mainly) operation than simply executing on one processor.

OLTP queries typically request smaller sets of data. Larger, long-running queries can typically benefit from some parallel query execution, but even that is on a case-by-case basis, in my opinion.

• nivek-224024,

Thanks for the explanation.

DK

• I'd say Nivek summed it up fairly well there.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Anyway you should set it if you don't want a single query eating up all your cpu capacity. ( a risk when leaving it at the default 0 )

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks to all for your time. I appreciate your comments.

DK

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply