Setting a SQL Server Trace to find the number of times user tables are acsessed in a DataBase in a particular period of time.

• Hi All,

I'm trying to find how many times that my User tables are accessed in my DB for a particular period of time.I've planned to set up a trace but unable to figure out what events I should use?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated..

Thx

Pavan Posani

• not that easy, because the objectname themselves are not stored anywhere long term as far as SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE are involved; there are some DMV's that keep track of some recent events, but nothing over a long time.

here's an example that assumes if the index was used, it was accessed:

/*--results

Schema Table_Or_View last_read last_write

dbo spt_values 2010-10-04 13:05:59.787 NULL

dbo TallyCalendar 2010-09-24 14:19:11.880 2010-09-24 14:19:11.880

*/

WITH agg AS

(

SELECT

[object_id],

last_user_seek,

last_user_scan,

last_user_lookup,

last_user_update

FROM

sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats

WHERE

database_id = DB_ID()

)

SELECT

[Schema] = OBJECT_SCHEMA_NAME([object_id]),

[Table_Or_View] = OBJECT_NAME([object_id]),

last_read = MAX(last_read),

last_write = MAX(last_write)

FROM

(

SELECT [object_id], last_user_seek, NULL FROM agg

UNION ALL

SELECT [object_id], last_user_scan, NULL FROM agg

UNION ALL

SELECT [object_id], last_user_lookup, NULL FROM agg

UNION ALL

SELECT [object_id], NULL, last_user_update FROM agg

) AS x ([object_id], last_read, last_write)

GROUP BY

OBJECT_SCHEMA_NAME([object_id]),

OBJECT_NAME([object_id])

ORDER BY 1,2;

anything long term

you'll need to put something in place to audit the tables or trace all sql statements.

For example if you create a server side DML trace like this one (which also creates a view) after it has been running a while, you could search the TextData column, which has all the commands executed, for a specific tablename like this:

select * from sp_mytrace

where textdata like '%MyTableName%'

AND STARTTIME

BETWEEN '2010-09-01 00:00:00.000'

AND '2010-10-01 00:00:00.000'

you could then modify it to have the counts you were looking for, but you need to visualize the data first.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• You could take a look at this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964124(SQL.90).aspx

• Lowell (10/6/2010)

anything long term

you'll need to put something in place to audit the tables or trace all sql statements.

For example if you create a server side DML trace like this one (which also creates a view) after it has been running a while, you could search the TextData column, which has all the commands executed, for a specific tablename like this:

select * from sp_mytrace

where textdata like '%MyTableName%'

AND STARTTIME

BETWEEN '2010-09-01 00:00:00.000'

AND '2010-10-01 00:00:00.000'

you could then modify it to have the counts you were looking for, but you need to visualize the data first.

The problem with trace is that I can use a query that used a view that referenced that table, but the trace won’t be able to see it. There are also other cases that can modify the results. For example if I have the table's name as a remark, it will show up in the trace. Unfortunately I don’t know of a way to get that information with SQL Server 2005’s tools (SQL Server 2008 had audit object that can be used for that). Most chances are that there is a third party tool that can give you the requested results, but I don’t know any. Maybe some of the other forums’ user can write about such a tool.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply