SET option hierarchy

• Nakul Vachhrajani (1/31/2012)

I disagree with the answers (2nd time in the same week). Here's why:

3. A hint overrides a SET option

4. A database option overrides an instance option and a SET option overrides a database option, but a hint does not override a SET option

Those are 2 contradicting statements. The correct answer therefore cannot be:

5. All of the above

A Very Good catch...

• honza.mf (2/1/2012)

I propose to switch the answers #4 and #5. The answer All of above becomes correct in this order.

Perfect and the best solution...

• According to me you all are right . I posted this question with 4 options i.e. 1,2,3 and 5. The option 4 was not added by me. The site admin can only correct it.

• According to me you all are right . I posted this question with 4 options i.e. 1,2,3 and 5. The option 4 was not added by me. The site admin can only correct it.

• Good Question... Thanks Sandip...

• I vote for that too :). In present form, there is no right answer. This happens time to time on QotD, no big deal really thanks to the following discussions, which usually clear things out and adds learning value :).

Cheers

Istvan

*applauds*

• Nice question on set options

Malleswarareddy
    I.T.Analyst
    MCITP(70-451)

• sandippani (2/1/2012)

According to me you all are right . I posted this question with 4 options i.e. 1,2,3 and 5. The option 4 was not added by me. The site admin can only correct it.

That makes a bit more sense then. I did spot the inherent contradiction but thought All of the above was the only one that made any sense, as 4 was definitely not correct but 1 - 3 were correct.

• Maybe somebody will be along later to correct the answer???

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Brigadur (2/1/2012)

Nakul Vachhrajani (2/1/2012)

SQL Kiwi (2/1/2012)

honza.mf (2/1/2012)

I propose to switch the answers #4 and #5. The answer All of above becomes correct in this order.

:laugh: I like it!

I like it too! 🙂

I vote for that too :). In present form, there is no right answer. This happens time to time on QotD, no big deal really thanks to the following discussions, which usually clear things out and adds learning value :).

+1

And I'm waiting also for a post saying it depends, as e.g. index hints aren't always considered, depending on specific SET option values (see BOL on Table Hints).

(As far as my understanding of English goes this would imply that under certain circumstances a hint does not override a SET option, as the latter has to be present for the former to be considered--so there's some dependency of the hint on a specific SET option; and if the option is not set, the hint cannot override it. Am I getting too philosophical?)

Thanks for a good question and a lively discussion.

Cheers,

Michael

• I guessed the intention of the question correctly, this time, but we could do with a correction for those that didn't.

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Nice question, the 4. option fooled me. :w00t:

• well, I think that 4# answer should be removed of question!!! it's wrong!!!

good question!!!

thanks!!!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • palotaiarpad (2/1/2012)

Nice question, the 4. option fooled me. :w00t:

+1 :hehe:

Everything is awesome!

• sandippani (2/1/2012)

According to me you all are right . I posted this question with 4 options i.e. 1,2,3 and 5. The option 4 was not added by me. The site admin can only correct it.

It was a good question except for that small problem. Thanks for the question.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply