set nocount on at ole db connection level (Urgent)

• Environment -

VB, asp.net

IIS server

Sql server 2000

Gurus,

We have all the code base in SP/ UDFs, I want to make set nocount on (no messging to client for rows affected ) at ole db connection level , i mean for the application only . I dont want to make it set nocount on at server/ database or sql analyser level but i want the sql server default set nocount off at every level except the application connection.

I have a crude solution to run a pre script to run set nocount on at OLE DB connection level before calling any sp, but i guess it will add a server trip every time and not an elegent solution.  I am interested in OLE DB connection parameter setting option.Your quick response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheilesh

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I don't see a problem in setting this option before calling your SP and then setting it to its default again

my question is : why you want to change this option before calling you r stored procedure?

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

• Thanks Alamir for reply,

Actually we have more then 1800 SPs in MS web environment. Earlier we were using ODBC connection to connecting to sql server database till then it was fine. Now we have decided to use OLE DB connection and if sql server sends number of rows affected message to client it result in page crash with OLE DB for sql server driver. Although in most of the SPs we are already using SET NOCOUNT ON option, but its very time consuming to ensure this setting in all the SPs and re-release to production sites. That’s why i was seeking if an parameter setting is there in OLE DB for sql server driver itself. Please suggest if you know any setting.

TIA,

• what about making a Job on SQL Server that work when it starts .. and put on it the logic you want?

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply