Set based answer

• Hello,

I have something to accomplish on SQL Server 2000. Say i have the following table that traces how often something is transferred:

A  |  B

1  |  2

2  |  3

5  |  7

7  |  8

8  |  9

9  |  10

Basically, the item starting out labeled as 1 in column A has been transferred twice ( 1 -> 2, 2 -> 3), and the one labeled as 5 has been transferred four times ( 5 -> 7, 7 -> 8, 8 -> 9, 9 -> 10). Id like to be able to generate a report something like the following:

Item          #times transferred

1                           2

5                           4

I'm not interested in the intermediary states ( where A is 7, 8, or 9), and there won't be any times where there is a record in column A without a corresponding record in column B. 

Any ideas if/how this can be done in a set-based query instead of a cursor (or loop)?

TIA, Chris.

• SELECT [A],

INTO [#Temp1]

FROM

(

SELECT 1 AS [A], 2 AS

UNION

SELECT 2 AS [A], 3 AS

UNION

SELECT 5 AS [A], 7 AS

UNION

SELECT 7 AS [A], 8 AS

UNION

SELECT 8 AS [A], 9 AS

UNION

SELECT 9 AS [A], 10 AS

) [Vals]

SELECT

[A],

1 AS [Transfer_Count]

INTO [#Temp2]

FROM[#Temp1] [Temp1_1]

WHERENOT EXISTS

(

SELECT *

FROM[#Temp1] [Temp1_2]

WHERE[Temp1_1].[A] = [Temp1_2].

)

WHILE @@ROWCOUNT > 0

BEGIN

UPDATE [#Temp2]

SET

= #Temp1.,

[Transfer_Count] = [Transfer_Count] + 1

FROM[#Temp2]

INNER JOIN[#Temp1]

ON[#Temp1].[A] = [#Temp2].

END

SELECT * FROM #Temp2

DROP TABLE #Temp1

DROP TABLE #Temp2

• Again the premise is not to loop the above is "looping"

I don't think there is an efficient way of solving this problem SET-BASED superior to a cursor.

Cheers,

* Noel

• Loop != Cursor

If you wanted to do this in a single select query, you would have to anticipate the maximum "times transferred" and use that many left joins - 1, which isn't practical.

If you want to join to this result set, you may want to look at making a function that returns a table.

• Kevin's solution works for me. I was stuck thinking about CUBE or ROLLUP or something else to avoid a cursor. Updates on a temp table didn't occur to me.

Thanks!

• It was a fun one to bend my mind around to clear my head of my current problems. Take it easy.

• ChrisMoix,

how do you know that item transferred from 7 to 8 is the same item transferred from 5 to 7?

How you gonna distinguish 2 deliveries from 7 to 8 happened in, say, 2 weeks one after another? Which one you're gonna count?

If you would have some ItemID in this table you'd avoid any kind of looping at all.

Just

SELECT COUNT(*), ItemID

GROUP BY ItemID

and that's it.

• You just nailed it. It is a very poor design. But those are the requests we get most of the time.

* Noel

• This is of course assuming there are no possible cycles in the table:

ie the route was: 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 2 -> 4

Otherwise you're going to get an infinite loop.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply