• declare @filename varchar(255),

@path varchar(255),

@sql varchar(8000),

@sql3 varchar(8000),

@cmd1 varchar(1000),

@cmd2 varchar(1000),

@cmd3 varchar(1000),

@cmd4 varchar(1000)

SET @path = '\\fileserver1\Repository\Cost Reports\Latest Cost Reports\'+ @year +'\Hospital\HOSPFY' +@year

SET @cmd1 = 'dir'+' "'+'\\fileserver1\Repository\Cost Reports\Latest Cost Reports\'+ @year +'\Hospital\HOSPFY' +@year +'"' +'\*ALPHA.CSV /b/s'

SET @SQL3 = 'INSERT INTO ' + @bd_name + '.dbo'+'.ALLFILENAMES(WHICHFILE)' + 'EXEC Master..xp_cmdShell ' + @cmd1

But i am getting the value as

INSERT INTO Cost_reports.dbo.ALLFILENAMES(WHICHFILE)EXEC Master..xp_cmdShell dir "\\fileserver1\Repository\Cost Reports\Latest Cost Reports\2009\Hospital\HOSPFY2009"\*ALPHA.CSV /b/s

But it has to be this -

EXEC Master..xp_cmdShell ' dir "\\fileserver1\Repository\Cost Reports\Latest Cost Reports\2009\Hospital\HOSPFY2009"\*ALPHA.CSV /b/s'

i need to set a Apostrophe in front of dir and at the end

Please let me know how do i add it

• Double up on the quotes.

declare @sql varchar(1000)

select @sql = 'INSERT dbo.mytest SELECT 'insert sales select ''test'' '

Also, watch your spaces. You are missing a few.

• What Steve said (I just saw his response as I was about to reply)...

This is a good article SSC on the apostrophe topic... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/95670/

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• tried using this

declare @sql varchar(1000)

select @sql = 'INSERT dbo.mytest SELECT 'insert sales select ''test'' '

getting an error unclosed quoataion marks

• Used this SET @SQL3 = 'INSERT INTO ' + '2009' + '.dbo.ALLFILENAMES(WHICHFILE) EXEC Master..xp_cmdShell ''' + @cmd1 + ''''

Its working now thank you

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply