services accounts

• Hello everyone, I am newcomer with SQL Server and the company I work for has SQL Server 2000 and 2005.

Could anyone to help with a doubt I have?

what is the difference between Local system account and User domain account in the services account?

what happens if I click customize the settings for each service??

Thanks in advance for all of you

• The LocalSystem account is a predefined local account used by the service control manager. This account is not recognized by the security subsystem, so you cannot specify its name in a call to the LookupAccountName function. It has extensive privileges on the local computer, and acts as the computer on the network. Its token includes the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and BUILTIN\Administrators SIDs; these accounts have access to most system objects. The name of the account in all locales is .\LocalSystem. The name, LocalSystem or ComputerName\LocalSystem can also be used. This account does not have a password. If you specify the LocalSystem account in a call to the CreateService function, any password information you provide is ignored.

A domain user account enables the service to take full advantage of the service security features of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services. The service has whatever local and network access is granted to the account, or to any groups of which the account is a member. The service can support Kerberos mutual authentication.

The advantage of using a domain user account is that the service's actions are limited by the access rights and privileges associated with the account. Unlike a LocalSystem service, bugs in a user-account service cannot damage the system. If the service is compromised by a security attack, the damage is limited to the operations that the system allows the user account to perform. At the same time, clients running at varying privilege levels can connect to the service, which enables the service to impersonate a client to perform sensitive operations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply