Servicepack 3 SQL 2005 Cluster

• I am going to do an upgrade from RTM to SP3 on a clustered solution. Besides taking backup, then I want to hear if there is anything I should be aware of? I have don plenty of normal upgrades, but no Cluster before.

Thx.

Søren,
    MCITP SQL 2008 (administration / programming), MCITP SQL 2005 (BI), MCT

• I have installed SP3 on a cluster without any problems.

If an active-active cluster, you can put 2 instances on one node and then install SP3.

• Install the management tools part of the service pack on all nodes, these are not part of the clustered environment

• I would recommend as part of your final verification that you failover all instances to Node1 and check the @@version of all instances, failover all instances to Node2 and check @@version of all instances, and so forth for all nodes of the cluter. It could save you some trouble later on if you are ever applying futher patches (Cumu. Upddates, for example, that require SP3 as a precursor).

When you apply SP's or Hotfixes to a clustered instance, it will attempt to patch the files on the passive node first, so this verification justs saves some headaches later by verifying that SP3 was successfully applied to all instances (and on all nodes).

"Got no time for the jibba jabba!"
    -B.A. Baracus

• Something I always do before any patches or SP. I shutdown SQL Server and make a cold backup of the master, model, msdb, dist and mssqlresource mdf and ldf files. I will also do this after patching. If something goes wrong it is much easier to copy/paste say master back then attempting to restore it.

• Check the following information before you install SP3 on a failover cluster instance:

?Do not stop the cluster service before you run the SP3 Setup program, or while the installation program is running

?Do not end any running processes before you run the SP3 Setup program. The SP3 Setup program will stop and start the SQL Server service.

?Run the SP3 Setup program on the primary node of the failover cluster instance.

?You must restart all failover cluster nodes after SP3 is finished installing.

?To ensure that SQL Server 2005 SP3 will be installed on all nodes of failover cluster instance verify that TASK Scheduler is running on all passive nodes of your cluster instance

? If any resources have been added that have dependencies on SQL Server resources, those dependencies must either be removed or taken offline before you install SP3. If you do not remove the dependencies, the installation of SP3 will take those resources offline.

?Run the SP3 executable package file from the active node that owns the group containing the failover cluster instance you plan to upgrade. This installs the service pack files on all nodes of the cluster.

? You can not install SP3 from any Passive node in the failover cluster.

?On the feature selection page of the SP3 setup wizard, select the failover cluster instance that you plan to upgrade. Setup will prompt you for the login credentials that are used to connect to other nodes in cluster.

?Keep all nodes of the cluster online during setup. This ensures that the upgrade is applied to each cluster node.

?Setup might require you to restart the failover cluster nodes. This restart replaces the files that are in use during setup.

Regards

Kotla

• Hello friends,

Thanks for all your advices. I found my way and I have now updated the cluster. It is working, I have tried to move the active groups between the different nodes, and everything should be running.

So once again, thanks for all your advices.

Søren from Denmark

Søren,
    MCITP SQL 2008 (administration / programming), MCITP SQL 2005 (BI), MCT

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply