service pack question.

• I have right now SQL 2008r2 RTM. First, If I want to patch with SP3, should I apply SP1, SP2 first or I go directly with SP3, which covers SP1 and SP2?

Lastly, Should I go for SP3 right now or just wait since it was just released last month.

Thank you.

• SQL Server 2008 R2 service packs are cumulative and can be used to upgrade all releases of SQL Server 2008 R2 to Service Pack 3. SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3 contains Cumulative Update 1 to 13 from SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2. The package can be used to upgrade the following SQL Server 2008 R2 editions:

SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Computing Edition

SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition

SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition and Developer Edition

SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition

SQL Server 2008 R2 Web Edition

SQL Server 2008 R2 Workgroup Edition

Please read:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44271

Cheers.

Franco

• Thanks for your reply. in Simple English, if I update to SP3, everything comes along right i.e. SP1, SP2 AND cumulative ? Next, Is it OK to update SP3 right now or just wait and just have SP2 and all cumulative. Just want a suggestion.

• Dan11 (10/31/2014)

Thanks for your reply. in Simple English, if I update to SP3, everything comes along right i.e. SP1, SP2 AND cumulative ? Next, Is it OK to update SP3 right now or just wait and just have SP2 and all cumulative. Just want a suggestion.

If you upgrade to SP3 you will be at Build Level 10.50.6000, the last one for now.

SQL Server 2008 R2 service packs are cumulative, this means exactly that, cumulative, so you don't have to install SP1 and SP2 before, just go with SP3 directly.

Cheers.

Franco

• By all means, be sure to test the SP installation on a test system before installing it on production. I had SQL 2005 SP4 break my SQL Server when installed on SQL 2005 SP3. And when I say break, I mean break. SQL Server wouldn't start at all. Thank goodness I was testing it and not installing it on production.

Ideally, you would test the installation on a full copy of production and have people test their applications before installing it on production.

If that isn't feasible, at least build a copy of production with a good representation of your databases from production and test it.

• Thank you guys!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply