service pack issues for reporting services

• We are currently on SQL server 2005 service pack 1 for our sql server installation here.

Our reporting services and the database services for the reporting is on one Server box.

The datasource used for the reporting is on a different server.

Since Microsoft support for sp1 is ending in April, I am planning to upgrade the server next month. However we are also planning to use a different server for reporting which may not be available by April.

My question is can I have the SQL Server which hosts the datasource on Service Pack 2, while the reporting services and its databases are on SP1? I don't want to spend time on upgrading a server that is to be retired if I don't have to.

Thanks

KR

• Hi,

Don't see any issues with that. Should there be? :unsure:

Cheers,

Shiva.

---------
    Cheers,
    Shiva.

• My question is can I have the SQL Server which hosts the datasource on Service Pack 2, while the reporting services and its databases are on SP1? I don't want to spend time on upgrading a server that is to be retired if I don't have to.

I have been working with the reverse situation, ie. Report Server on SP2, datasource on SP1.

I have not had any problems.

You shouldn't need to upgrade the Report Server.

Thanks for the heads-up on the SP1 MS Support issue, I hadn't realized it was coming up so soon!

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Thank you all for you input.

KR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply