Service Pack 4

• Earlier this month MS announced Service Pack 4 for SQLServer 2000. You can find information (and the download) on the Microsoft site at here and a list of bug fixes at here

But - the real question is: what are you doing about SP4?

• Are you planning on installing it?
    • Waiting to see if anyone else has meltdown because of it?
    • Planning on ignoring the whole thing?

This thread is to discuss both your intentions and experiences with SP4. Let us know your experiences with SP4.

• SQL server SP4 has more fixes and does not introduce any new features. With this said, i think you should be safe to go ahead and install SP4 but you definetely need some testing. The reason we haven't installed SP4 yet is that there is a bug if you are using memory more than 2 gb and we are waiting for the fix from microsoft.

• I dropped it on my laptop (Personal Edition) with no ill effects. Direct from RTM to SP4 and it worked fine.

• We have installed it on SQL server cluster with win2003 and SQL server enterprise edition, where each server has about 4GB. All look good

• We can't use it on most of our production servers because of the problem with AWE.

We usually don't rush to install SPs.

• LOL...waiting for SP4a?  

Fortunately (or not) for me my hands are tied.  Our vendors have to sign off on it before it can be installed on production machines.  And unless there's a critical issue being addressed, they usually take their time with this process. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Is AWE the only issue with memory issue > 2G?  What about 4 G with the /3G switch set?

• I think the problem occurs with only with AWE enabled, because /3GB switch is for Widows User mode address space enlargement and AWE is specific to SQL Server. But there are other problems associated with SP4 - I still recommend that you should wait for atleast 6 months after the release of a service pack.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply