Service Master Key

• Hi Experts,

As per my limited knowledge the SMK is created when SQL Service is first started  and all SQL Server instance will have SMK .

Why we need to backup SMK?

• VastSQL - Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:40 AM

Hi Experts,

As per my limited knowledge the SMK is created when SQL Service is first started  and all SQL Server instance will have SMK .

Because it's used in securing all of the other keys.

Sue

• It's worth noting that if you've upgraded your instance to 2017 (from 2016 or prior), Microsoft also recommend you regenerate your Service Master Key. To quote the documentation:

SQL Server 2017 uses the AES encryption algorithm to protect the service master key (SMK) and the database master key (DMK). AES is a newer encryption algorithm than 3DES used in earlier versions. After upgrading an instance of the Database Engine to SQL Server 2017 the SMK and DMK should be regenerated in order to upgrade the master keys to AES.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Sue_H - Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:52 AM

VastSQL - Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:40 AM

Hi Experts,

Sue

Thanks Sue, when we will be using the backup of SMK ,each instance will have its own SMK right, then whats the use of backup?

• Thom A - Tuesday, August 21, 2018 1:20 PM

It's worth noting that if you've upgraded your instance to 2017 (from 2016 or prior), Microsoft also recommend you regenerate your Service Master Key. To quote the documentation:

SQL Server 2017 uses the AES encryption algorithm to protect the service master key (SMK) and the database master key (DMK). AES is a newer encryption algorithm than 3DES used in earlier versions. After upgrading an instance of the Database Engine to SQL Server 2017 the SMK and DMK should be regenerated in order to upgrade the master keys to AES.

Thanks Thom

• VastSQL - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:55 AM

Sue_H - Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:52 AM

Hi Experts,

Sue

Thanks Sue, when we will be using the backup of SMK ,each instance will have its own SMK right, then whats the use of backup?

Disaster recovery?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Well, as has already been stated, the SMK is used to secure all other keys on the server.
    Which means that if you have ANY encryption ANYWHERE in your system, you WILL need your SMK. 
    And each instance having it's own SMK means they CANNOT read each other's encrypted stuff unless they've been specifically set up to be able to do so.

We're not the NSA here, so having good database backups and being able to restore them won't help you one bit if stuff is encrypted with keys you do not have.

That's why you need a backup of your SMK.

Kind regards,

Vegard Hagen
    Norwegian DBA, occasional blogger and generally a nice guy who believes the world is big enough for all of us.
    @vegard_hagen on Twitter
    Blog: Vegards corner (No actual SQL stuff here - havent found my niche yet. Maybe some day...)

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. (Chinese proverb)
  • VastSQL - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:55 AM

Hi Experts,

Sue

The other instances having their own SMK doesn't matter. You need the instance SMK in case you need to rebuild the server, DR as Thom mentioned. You need it for all of the keys for that instance, not for other instances.

Sue

• Sue_H - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:20 AM

VastSQL - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:55 AM

Hi Experts,

Sue

The other instances having their own SMK doesn't matter. You need the instance SMK in case you need to rebuild the server, DR as Thom mentioned. You need it for all of the keys for that instance, not for other instances.

Sue

Thanks Sue ,so what i understood from your advise is that when we restore an SMK on a new instance its existing SMK is replaced with SMK of other instance so that we can proceed with restoration of DBs. By the way i tried restoring encrypted backup to another instance and all in need was the certificate from other instance.

• VastSQL - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:06 AM

Thanks Sue ,so what i understood from your advise is that when we restore an SMK on a new instance its existing SMK is replaced with SMK of other instance so that we can proceed with restoration of DBs. By the way i tried restoring encrypted backup to another instance and all in need was the certificate from other instance.

If an SMK already exists, yes it would overwrite the existing one, it will decrypt and re-encrypt the existing keys using the new SMK you just restored.
    And yes you just need the certificate to restore an encrypted backup from another instance. That's how it's suppose to work.
    The encryption hierarchy is explained in this article:
    SMKs, DMKs, Certificates for TDE and Encrypted Backups

Sue

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply