Service broker, Endpoint and LISTENER_IP

• Hello.

I have a doubt.

I don't exactly know how the option LISTENER_IP works to create an endpoint for service broker.

Does the instance hear the IP setting in the endpoint only one?

Thanks for all and sorry for my english.

• msimone (11/17/2016)

Hello.

I have a doubt.

I don't exactly know how the option LISTENER_IP works to create an endpoint for service broker.

Does the instance hear the IP setting in the endpoint only one?

Thanks for all and sorry for my english.

The instance "hears" using a port. It can use all IPs if you chose the ALL value for the LISTENER_IP.

For example this code creates an Endpoint that listens on port 4022 using all IP addresses.

CREATE ENDPOINT SSBEndpoint

STATE = STARTED

AS TCP (LISTENER_PORT = 4022, LISTENER_IP = ALL)

FOR DATABASE_SSB

(

AUTHENTICATION = CERTIFICATE HOST_SSBEndpoint_cert,

ENCRYPTION = REQUIRED ALGORITHM RC4,

ROLE = ALL

)

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Hello Igor, I believe that I had a mistake in the previous post for to explain my doubt.

My question is the difference between to put "LISTENER_IP = ALL" or to put "LISTERNER_IP = (172.16.192.82)"

Thank you.

• msimone (11/28/2016)

Hello Igor, I believe that I had a mistake in the previous post for to explain my doubt.

My question is the difference between to put "LISTENER_IP = ALL" or to put "LISTERNER_IP = (172.16.192.82)"

Thank you.

It's up to you, how will you configure.

The usual usage is with ALL: the listener will be using all available IP addresses (IPv4 and IPv6).

However you could specify an IP address for the listener.

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• If I understand your question correctly, you are wondering why you would want to specify a listener IP.

Lets say for example, your SQL instance had 2 network cards; one inside facing and one outside facing. You might not want your service broker to listen on the outside facing one so you would set the endpoint to listen to the IP of the internal facing card only.

So in the above example, if your server had the IP of 192.168.50.10 for internal and 192.168.150.10 for external, you would put the 192.168.50.10 into the listener IP option.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Igor, Mr and MRs. 500, the clarification helps me to understand correctly, thanks for all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply