Server specifications for 2008 SQL Server

• Has anyone had to spec'd out the hardware for a 2008 SQL Server yet? I have a client that has given me too much to go by yet, but I am trying to find a reasonable set of configurations to start of with from acetal users and not from Microsoft. The database sizes will be fairly small @50-60GB but will be holding a bunch of charting data. I still have to do an initial interview for needs to find get an idea of estimated disk size and usage, so I was just wondering what other people have bought or quoted.

• You're not likely to get a real good answer on this one. SQL Server 2008 is still in CTP and final features haven't been determined. SQL Server 2008 RTM is slated for 3rd quarter, so you've got a few months yet before people starting rolling this to production unless there is a special early adopter program with MS.

Is there a reason you're already trying to spec SQL Server 2008? If so, are you also spec'ing Windows Server 2008 to deploy onto?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• The client specifically requested 2008. According to their request, they wish to develop and deploy on they latest and greatest so they will not endure any upgrades or feature limitations in the future.

• Likely then you'll have to go with the Microsoft min. recommendations. Because these are CTP builds, Microsoft likely hasn't removed all of the debugging, meaning the CTPs aren't reflective of the performance when SQL Server 2008 goes production.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply