Server side tracing

• Hi,

I have few doubts in Server side tracing in SQL server?

1. Why server side trace is better than SQL server?

2. How can I schedule a server side trace from a local PC to Server?

3. If I take the snapshot from the server, would I be able to mention the server name to be traced?

Please help me out.

• sqlzealot-81 (2/1/2012)

Better than SQL Server? Don't understand

To schedule a server-side trace, you typically put the trace creation script into a job. There's no client PC involved, hence the name server-side

3. If I take the snapshot from the server, would I be able to mention the server name to be traced?

Don't understand what you're asking.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (2/1/2012)

sqlzealot-81 (2/1/2012)

Better than SQL Server? Don't understand

Sorry...My bad, I meant SQL Server Profiler here.

To schedule a server-side trace, you typically put the trace creation script into a job. There's no client PC involved, hence the name server-side

Don't understand what you're asking.

Okei, After I took the trace script from the production, Is there any way to specify the server name to be traced. So that I can run the job in my local PC to trace the production server...Please let me know if am not clear.

• sqlzealot-81 (2/1/2012)

Okei, After I took the trace script from the production, Is there any way to specify the server name to be traced. So that I can run the job in my local PC to trace the production server...Please let me know if am not clear.

You don't run a server-side trace from your PC. You can hook up to a server and run the script that'll start a server-side trace, but nothing runs from your local system. That's the entire point.

Why are you trying to run the server-side trace from your own machine? What's the end goal you're trying to reach?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (2/1/2012)

sqlzealot-81 (2/1/2012)

You don't run a server-side trace from your PC. You can hook up to a server and run the script that'll start a server-side trace, but nothing runs from your local system. That's the entire point.

Why are you trying to run the server-side trace from your own machine? What's the end goal you're trying to reach?

Am very new to this server side tracing. Righ now am in a position to get the trace for my mid night at production. unfortunately, we need to caputre the mid night operation infact. So thought of scheduling the trace in job.

Then I thought, to reduce the burden on the production, I was in impression that I can run the trace script from my local PC or any connected PC changing the server name in the trace script file. But now I understand that its not an option as you said.

Thank you very much for the timely help!!!

Also appreciate to validate server side trace that I have taken as an option here is the best or is there any other way to achieve the same.

• sqlzealot-81 (2/1/2012)[hrAm very new to this server side tracing. Righ now am in a position to get the trace for my mid night at production. unfortunately, we need to caputre the mid night operation infact. So thought of scheduling the trace in job.

Then I thought, to reduce the burden on the production, I was in impression that I can run the trace script from my local PC or any connected PC changing the server name in the trace script file. But now I understand that its not an option as you said.

Thank you very much for the timely help!!!

Also appreciate to validate server side trace that I have taken as an option here is the best or is there any other way to achieve the same.

Based on these comments you dont appear to understand tracing.

By using a PC client (SQL Profiler) you dont offload work from the server at all. It is far more intensive for SQL server to deliver a rowset trace to your client than it is for a server side trace to a file.

Server side tracing is also guaranteed lossless, to your client some event can be skipped when there are a high volume of transactions.

• So let me try to make this clear to you if I can:

A server side trace means that the trace is running on the server. It is still using SQL Server to do it, however it is not using the GUI. Starting the trace is like running any other query. You can run the script from your pc or on the server itself. It does not matter as long as the connection in SSMS (or whatever you are using) is to that server. You are simply executing a script against that SQL server. So, putting this into a job and scheduling as a T-SQL step is fine as long as the job is scheduled on the server you wish to run the script on (ignoring linked server references for now).

Hopefully this helps.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply