I am trying to get a listing of the available servers (Using VB.Net):

Function listServers()

Dim oApp As SQLDMO.Application

Dim oNames As SQLDMO.NameList

oApp = New SQLDMO.Application()

oNames = oApp.ListAvailableSQLServers

Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To oNames.Count

Me.cboServerName.Items.Add(oNames.Item(i))

Next

End Function

However I recieve the following error:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occurred in PiMSTransactionUnlockTool.exe

Additional information: QueryInterface for interface SQLDMO.NameList failed.

Any thoughts on how to get this server listing?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Not getting an error when I run it. Which DMO library are you using?

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• I found this in help...

The ListAvailableSQLServers method is supported only for servers and workstations running Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0 and Microsoft Windows 2000.

However even running it on 2000 with SQL 2k, I had the same error you did. I know it worked on NT 4 as I used to do the same thing.

I didn't find a work around either. 🙁

Gary Johnson

DBA

Sr. DB Engineer

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• Hi,

I now have it working.

I performed a Windows Update, rebooted, and then installed Service Pack Two for SQL Server Client tools. I am not sure exactly what step it was that actually "helped" though.

Funny thing though, when I run the app in Visual Studio, the servers are returned OK, but when I ran the app alone, it fails to return the servers I am actually after. When installed on a different PC, the server listing works. Is it always sooo...... un-reliable?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply