Server is in script upgrade mode. Only administrator can connect at this time

• hi guys,

need your help. Trying to install sql server on 2 node cluster(A/P).

After upgrading the sql with SP1, I am not able to connect sql. It gives me weired error as :-

Login failed for user 'account'. Reason: Server is in script upgrade mode. Only administrator can connect at this time.

I have checked in microsoft support and seems like a bug.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976953.

Even the work around they suggested not working.

So anyone there who faced same issue and resolved. Please share it.

----------
    Ashish

• You get that error when you are installing SQL on another node.

At the time of installation, SQL is not available for any user to connect.

Once the installation finishes, SQL is put back into a normal state where you are able to connect.

You can still connect to SQL using a Dedicated Administrator Connection "DAC".

Here is a document on how to connect.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178068.aspx

QUIGROUP- Need a Certified experienced DBA for a project or troubleshooting? Need help with programming, database recovery, performance tuning, ETL, SSRS or developing new databases? Contact us.. 1-786-273-9809

• I am having same issue only I was UNinstalling SP1 from SQL 2008 R2 cluster - this is a newly released SP and I had issues during the uninstall. I was dropped from the server during the upgrade and it finally automatically reconnected me and continued updating. The UNinstall completed with success message and told me to restart my computer, which I did. I can't log in using DAC (yes we have enabled it). I tried to reinstall the service pack and this time it did not drop me from the server, told me to reboot after success message, which I did, but I still get same error.

"server is in script upgrade mode. only administrator can connect at this time"

• Did you read through the page that Ysaias linked to?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi - I did try "sqlcmd -A" which gave error about enabling DAC but then I tried using the method found in that link and I was able to get in !! Thank you.

Unfortunately when I tried to restore the master database I get error "The server was not found or was not accessible" and the database crashes.

• Service either isn't running or the name used is wrong.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Before restore command it shows service running and I am in a query window with 'connected' dialog. After the error, server crashes completely but I can manually bring it back online, after which is shows 'partial online'. I think what happened is that I dug myself into a hole by thinking I could recover from this.

Before I uninstalled the service pack, we were actively using this cluster without issue.

It's entirely possible that some other person RDPd into the server and disconnected me while I was in the middle of the uninstall. I don't know that there is a graceful way of recovering from something like that. At least I haven't found one. And it wouldn't be the first time we had to give up and completely rebuild (though we came close by rebuilding teh cluster).

• I think at this point you may need to call Microsoft's Customer Support.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply