Server Cloning

• Hi,

Can anyone provide the docs or steps for cloning a server. This is for creating a test environment of the production environment.

• Are you talking about database cloning? There is database mirroring and database snapshot, replication.

• I don't think there is a step by step for completely cloning a server. For a database, typcially you would restore a backup and then fix the logins/users. You can use sp_help_revlogin or sp_changeuserslogin to help fix them.

• I want to send a proposal to client who want to make a test environment which is an exact replica of production environment.His requirement is "how to buid a user front end test environment with exact mirroring of production environment".I havent made any proposal before this so please help me in this issue

TIA

• A proposal or a 'how to' guide? There's a world of difference in what you need to say and how detailed you need to be. YOU need to know the 'how to' guide level in order to be confident your proposal says what it needs to. If you've never done it, then the uncertainty will certainly give you stress.

In a nutshell, if you are going to 'replicate' a production environment in a test environment, you need to:

1. Start with matching hardware. Often testing environments have hardware with much less 'muscle'. This is ok, PROVIDED the software matches and the hardware is compatible. Same operating system, same applications, etc...

2. Start with access rules - test users should NOT use identical login strings, so that they can tell that they are in a test environment, not production.

3. How frequently will the test databases need to be matched to production? Is there sensitive data that should NOT be available on the test machine? (Think Sarbanes-Oxley here, plus special privileges that may be required on test environment to allow verification and correctness of proposed changes)

4. What 'production level' safeguards will be required - image of the server to restore it to a pristine / before-change state? ordinary backups?

This is a partial list - not enough room here. Sorry that I don't have any ready references for you.... and I'm assuming a certain level of SQL Server proficiency, which may not be appropriate.

Steve

• Have you considered a virtual environment for your test ?

You could create a virtual replica of the server and run it in it's own virtual lan.

Just a thought 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply