Server becomes very slow [RESOURCE_SEMAPHORE] waittype.

• We had the same issue. Initially we did not think it was memory bottlenecks since cache hit ratio was around 100. But we increased the server memory and the issues went away for now.

• andyansryan (9/19/2012)

We had the same issue. Initially we did not think it was memory bottlenecks since cache hit ratio was around 100. But we increased the server memory and the issues went away for now.

Page life expectancy, along with memory stalls per sec and lazy writes per sec, is a more reliable indicator of memory pressure than cache-hit ratio. Should be over 1000-2000 sec, depending on server memory.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Hi

Did you try installing SP4 for 2005 . See if that can help.

• Please don't post to 2 year old threads.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (9/20/2012)

Please don't post to 2 year old threads.

Why not? If the information people post is useful, what does the age of the thread have to do with anything?

When I search for information on this website, I search on keywords, irrespective of the date the information was posted.

• Hi ,

Last week we increased RAM and processors. now ,In our environment we have 2 processors,6 cores and hyper threading present ,so a total of 24 processors (6*2*2) available with 48GB RAM. I gave 28gb for sql as max server memory. in event viewer after a day i got insufficient memory to run the query. There are lot of blockings so that application gets hanged and nothing is working fine. Could anyone suggest me in which aspect i should check the performance of sql.

Now i have increased as 38 gb out of total of 48 gb for sql server.

Server:sql server 2012 enterprise

In our applications we have long running threads with many joins ,but before there was no issues like blocking as of now.....Need to resolve blockings and run apps fastly . Any one please help me !!!!

• vishalsurya50 (6/11/2013)

Hi ,

Last week we increased RAM and processors. now ,In our environment we have 2 processors,6 cores and hyper threading present ,so a total of 24 processors (6*2*2) available with 48GB RAM. I gave 28gb for sql as max server memory. in event viewer after a day i got insufficient memory to run the query. There are lot of blockings so that application gets hanged and nothing is working fine. Could anyone suggest me in which aspect i should check the performance of sql.

Now i have increased as 38 gb out of total of 48 gb for sql server.

Server:sql server 2012 enterprise

In our applications we have long running threads with many joins ,but before there was no issues like blocking as of now.....Need to resolve blockings and run apps fastly . Any one please help me !!!!

Duplicate post. Please post any responses here.

Please don't make multiple posts. It will simply fragment any responses you may get regarding your problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply