Seperator after value

• Hi,

I need to insert a separator after each value but I don't want to mess the db with irrelevant characters. The best separator would be a semicolon.

I got 5 columns in my db and export them via SQL Server Agent further to my FTP Server. The easiest way would be through the Server Agent job but I don't get it...

Anybody got an idea or should I insert an extra column which only contains the separator between the columns?

Thank you

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • SELECT CONCAT(Col1,';',Col2,';',etc etc)

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

SELECT CONCAT(Col1,';',Col2,';',etc etc)

Better yet:

SELECT CONCAT_WS(';', col1, col2, col3, ...)

With that said - since this data needs to be uploaded to an FTP site, I would build an SSIS project that outputs the data into a local file with appropriate delimiters and then FTP the file from the package.  If the FTP server is actually sFTP - then download WinSCP and implement their .NET code in a script task.

If SSIS is not an option then I would use Powershell 7 and Export-CSV (you can define the delimiter to other than a comma) to create the file and then use WinSCP .NET provider to upload.  Someone has also built a wrapper to WinSCP for Powershell - not sure how well that works but it is something to consider.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks Jeffrey, I'd forgotten that CONCAT_WS() even existed.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply