Sensible values for Database Mirroring Monitor Threshold

• Hi all

As the title suggests I am wondering what other people are using as thresholds for database mirroing. We have a multi-site mirror which is connected by fibre cable roughly 100 yards away, and the system is low transactional.

With that in mind what do people consider a sensible threshold for unsent log, unrestored log, oldest unsent transaction and mirror commit overhead?

Thanks for your suggestions.

• Kwisatz78 (10/8/2012)

Hi all

As the title suggests I am wondering what other people are using as thresholds for database mirroing. We have a multi-site mirror which is connected by fibre cable roughly 100 yards away, and the system is low transactional.

With that in mind what do people consider a sensible threshold for unsent log, unrestored log, oldest unsent transaction and mirror commit overhead?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Are you referring to the default timeout value?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perry

I am referring to the thresholds you can set in the Database Mirroring Monitor itself, which I want to configure SCOM to alert on. Table 1 in the following link shows the event IDs, but I was just wondering what values are sensible to use for these thresholds.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966392.aspx

Thanks

• I've been wondering myself - since mirroring is now deprecated in favour of Always On, I think it is a minority sport these days
    Microsoft sets these defaults - 
    Unsent log exceeds 1KB
    Unrestored log exceeds 1KB
    Oldest unsent transaction exceeds 1 minute
    Mirror commit overhead exceeds 1millisecond

I would recommend starting with these and seeing how it goes.  

Remember to go to the SQL Agent jobs - find Database Mirroring Monitor Job - and set it to Notify you if it finds a problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply