sending mails from ssas cubes

• hi ,

im working on ssas cubes,i want to trigger mails from cubes .can anyone tell is there anyway to trigger mails from ssas cubes

thanks,

mary

• hi,

For sending mails, we have to use SSIS packages.We can connect an analysis service cube using analysis server connection manager in the SSIS.After that drag and drop two send mail functionallity into the design.Connect the Analysis service conncetion manager to the two send mail boxes.

Double click the lines and configure one for sucess and other for failure.Double click the send mail boxes to configure the SMTP.

Now the mail will pass through depend upon the execution of the cubes.On success it will uses one send mail box or else if it is a failure we have another send mail functionallity as well.By this way we can trigger the mailing option of cubes using SSIS

Regards

vijay:)

• hi Mary,

Has my idea worked for you....

• The previous response actually brings up the topic that wasn't mentioned:

The real question is when do you want the email generated? When the cube is processed (as in the previous suggestion)? When data changes? When certain values are found? Based on certain data intersections?

You can code "Actions" into the cube, to do specific functions based on certain intersections. (I.e. if I'm looking at a brand, enable an email link.) However, that requires your front end tool to enable actions.

If you're lokking for certain results to trigger an action, then you need a tool to interigate the data, triggering the action when it sees certain conditions.

In all of the above cases, it's not an MSAS job, rather the external tool operating with MSAS that needs to take the action.

Note: you could add a custom assembly to MSAS to send an email whenever a datapoint is access. Careful though, you could end up with a flood.

Aside: if you use a scheduled job to process the cube, you can also add an email step to that job.

• Hi Dave Balsillie,

My scenario is that i have to send mail from the browser window in the SSAS, based upon a measure which should be grearter than a certain lilmit.

Now how can i code it in the Action in SSAS?

Thanks in Advance,

Dwarakesh

• First, you need to understand that "Actions" are simply "meta concept" in a MSAS cube. There's no "engine" ready and able to execute the action. In a way, it's only a "suggested approach, since there's no MSAS actual implementation".

Some BI tools like ProClarity implement actions. While their implementations could be different, generally the approach I've seen is to allow the user to select the action, then the action is sent to the address bar. So in the end, you have to check with the "BI Tool".

You could implement your own BI engine, with a view to executing actions. That would have to be evaluated against simply pulling the data and taking the appropriate steps. The advantage of the action is that you could abstract it from the engine, and it could be driven by complex (and changing) MDX statements. I've not found a generic engine at this point.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply