send (conditional) email task

• So I have my package which basically pulls csv files from an ftp site to a local folder and then my task loops through the files and imports them into a table, once this has finished I then delete all files locally and from the ftp site.

The package runs every hour, and I would like to send an e-mail upon completion of the job, but I only want the email to go out if the package actually imported any data, I don’t want e-mails being sent at the end of the job if there were no files processed.

Any ideas on how I can achieve this please.

• Your Foreach loop maps file names into a variable. A precedence constraint after your Foreach loop connecting it to a Send Email Task could check to see whether that variable has a non-empty string as its value. If it has a non-empty value you'll know at least one file was processed and it should carry on to send an email.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I generally have an Execute SQL task that goes to my staging table to be sure there are at least a certain number of records. Evaluating @@RowCount gives you that ability to compare against threshold.

• If you want to be a bit more sophisticated, one thing you could do would be to set up an import-logging table along the lines of:

BatchNo

FileName

RecordsInFile

RecordsImported

RecordsUpdated

Your package would need to generate a unique batch number every time it runs.

Then, for every file processed, a new row is inserted accordingly.

Then, at the end of processing, your e-mail can be conditional on Sum(RecordsInFile) > 0 where BatchNo = nnn. If true, you can include lots of useful info in the e-mail too.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi All,

Can anyone of you, explain this with example.

This post is very much good, i would like to jump in this post.

Thanks,

Jay

• rather generic, I don't include a lot here. We have a custom email sp to add formatting in keeping with corp look and feel for such things, but this is the scaled-down simple email. At start of every package, I create a staging and empty table, so these already exist:

if exists (select 1 from sys.objects where object_id = object_id('#tmpTAB1')) drop table #tmpTAB1

CREATE TABLE #tmpTAB1

(

[ClientID] char (10) NOT NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

insert into #tmpTAB1

SELECT top 10 ClientID

FROM mylivetableStaging (NOLOCK)

If @@RowCount < 10

BEGIN

exec msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail

@recipients = 'me@workmail.com,myboss@workmail.com',

@subject = 'SSIS Validation - Package name - Failure - Less than 10 rows in Staging' ,

@body = 'Staging flip prevented due to small population in Staging',

@body_format = 'html',

@profile_name = 'whateveryouuse'

END

ELSE

BEGIN

ALTER TABLE mylivetable switch TO mylivetableEmpty

ALTER TABLE mylivetableStaging switch TO mylivetable

DROP TABLE mylivetableStaging

Drop TABLE mylivetableEmpty

END

drop table #tmpTAB1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply