Self-Service Databases

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Self-Service Databases

• If people have these wonderful self hydrating database environments, does this mean they don't get questions with no body? 😉

• The organization I work for is like all those organizations you mentioned which don't have a way of quickly spinning up a database for developers to work against. Our process is to fill out a form asking for a new database (and other things, but I'll leave that off), which needs to go before a committee for review. Once approved then the DBAs create the server, install SQL Server, created the database, etc. If we're doing something like developing something new against an existing database, then the process is faster. A new database schema isn't needed, so instead of creating a new database schema, the DBAs restore a recent backup version of the production database to some new server, etc.

Roughly a week, sometimes longer.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• call.copse wrote:

If people have these wonderful self hydrating database environments, does this mean they don't get questions with no body? 😉

Not sure what you mean?

• Rod at work wrote:

If we're doing something like developing something new against an existing database, then the process is faster. A new database schema isn't needed, so instead of creating a new database schema, the DBAs restore a recent backup version of the production database to some new server, etc.

Roughly a week, sometimes longer.

This is how I've often worked, though a week has been a problem. Usually I've gotten one in a day or two.

However, this gets you protective of your db and wary of refreshes, which often leads to development that has no good basis. I'd want a new database constantly to test things, or to reset. However, I also realize this is a difficult mindshift, even for me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply