Selecting some text in the editor is difficult

• Hello,
    I just started using SQL2017 with SQL Server Management Studio v17.7. When I write queries in the SSMS I encounter the following. If I want to hightlight a word (for example when I want to copy it) I have to move my mouse at least an inch before the word starts getting highlighted. Especially for short words this is really annoying. In all other ext editors on my computer this doesn't happen, so I really think it is a SSMS thingie..... should I configure it somewhere?

Thx

• To highlight a word, double click it.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I am absolutely not seeing similar behavior. Uninstall and reinstall maybe?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Cause found but problem stays.... Microsoft sucks again. I keep on being amazed by the fact that Microsoft can be both brilliant in making a product like SQL Server but at the same time be completely stupid.

I have always ran into the problem that folders can be dragged and dropped without the user noticing. Keep your mouse button pressed for a fraction of a second too long, move it 4 pixels and your folder disappears. It happened to me, to my co-workers; on our own machines and on production servers. A basic, simple "Are you sure?" confirmation box (either or not configurable to have it shown or not) is not provided for in Windows, nor a switch to prevent folder drag-n-drop at all. The only workable solution I found was to edit the registry: in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop change the values of DragHeight and DragWidth from 4 to for example 80. By doing this, when dragging you first have to drag at least an inch (on my monitor) before the drag-n-drop gets activated, making it impossible to do this by accident without knowing.

As you might guess by now, apparently the SSMS window in which you edit queries uses these values. I can easily reproduce it: when it is set to 4 (the default value) or 3, or 5, the Query Editor window behaves as it should. When set to 80 (the value I used to prevent accidental drag-n-drop) it behaves as described in my first post and makes query editing a pain.

So, apparently Microsoft thinks DragHeight and DragWidth is the same as selecting some text with the mouse. And of course this only applies to the Query Editor window, not to other parts in the SSMS where I can select text in the normal way even with the values of 80 set.

What a stupidity. I am very pissed by this, especially when I see the monthly invoices coming from Microsoft. 

For now my workaround is to set the values to DragWidth=4, DragHeight=80

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply