Selecting records and true or false value

• Hi All,

Thanks in advanced for help given. I have the following table:

1<b></b><i></i><u></u>

I want to run a query to show two columns - process ID and a Boolean column. The Boolean column will be true if all the completeddatetime values have a datestamp for that process id. It will be false if any of the completeddatetime values have a null.

So the output should say:

5931  true

5932  true

5933  false

5934  false

I have tried this with iif statement and case statement but cant get it working, but am sure its quite simple!

Thank you. sijcooke

• Hello,

Can you post some table data as detailed here https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help ? It enables people to give more accurate answers.

I'm wondering if your question could be solved with a self join on the table but I can test with some data. The left side will be used to list all the process ID's and the right hand side to evaluate the timestamps. Others may have better ideas.

• Hi, ive not done this before so struggling a little.. heres what I have so far, hope it helps:

CREATE TABLE TABLE_PROCESSTIMES
    (
    PROCESSID integer NOT NULL,
    COMPLETEDDATETIME timestamp,
    );

SELECT '5933','[null]' UNION ALL
    SELECT '5933','19.09.2019, 11:30:00.000' UNION ALL
    SELECT '5934','[null]' UNION ALL
    SELECT '5933','[null]' UNION ALL
    SELECT '5931','19.09.2019, 11:30:00.000' UNION ALL
    SELECT '5932','19.09.2019, 11:30:00.000'
  • Here's one simple method provided those are actual NULLs and not just a word of '[NULL]':

SELECT  ProcessID
    ,IsCompleted = CASE WHEN COUNT(ProcessID)=COUNT(CompletedDateTime) THEN 'True' ELSE 'False' END
    FROM yourtable
    GROUP BY ProcessID
    ;

As a bit of a sidebar and judging only from what you've posted, I have to tell you that there's no way that I'd allow the CompletedDateTime to continue as a character-based column.  It should be a DATETIME datatype or (depending on what you need to do with the column) a DATETIME2(0) datatype.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Yes they are actual nulls - Perfect, thanks so much!!

• And now I see that you've posted while I was constructing a response.  You can't actually insert into a TIMESTAMP datatype in SQL Server.  With that in mind, which RDBMS are you using?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply