Selecting databases to backup - do not include tempdb

• Hi Guys,

I have created a maintenance plan which runs nightly. One of the tasks it does is backup a bunch of databases on the server (sql server 2005).

I have had to use a T-SQL task to backup the databases as the "Backup database task" does a few annoying things like backup snapshots.

anyways I created a script to backup databases that i want to be backed up:

SELECT dbid, name

FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases

WHERE status&512 = 0 AND

status&1024 = 0

Order By name

This is fine but it includes the tempdb in the selection. Any ideas on how to exlcude the tempdb from the selection? I see an obvious option is to just append "name != 'tempdb' to the WHERE clause but this seems a little tacky, is there a better way?

Thanks

Scott

• Scozzard (9/28/2009)

is there a better way?

Thanks

Scott

Probably, but I can't think of one. Tempdb is not distinguishable from any other of the system databases, at least in the query MS uses to build the Database Tree in SSMS. Meh, I would hard-code it.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

MJM

• Cool, thanks for the reply.

I have ended up just hardcoding the 'tempdb' for now. If a better way comes up I will update it but I see no real problem for the time being.

Cheers,

Scott

• you can use where dbid <> 2

• Or you could forget using maintenance plans altogether and simple T-SQL commands. You could roll your own, or use one of the many stored procedures in the script library.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• jamesvgeorge (9/30/2009)

you can use where dbid <> 2

This is a way of doing it that will work all of the time. Tempdb is always dbid 2.

• @philcart Writing scripts would definitely be a good idea, if it becomes any more complex or any more issues come up I will probably go down that road.

@jamesvgeorge and @Gé Brander - cheers guys 🙂

• Scozzard (10/1/2009)

@philcart Writing scripts would definitely be a good idea, if it becomes any more complex or any more issues come up I will probably go down that road.

@jamesvgeorge and @Gé Brander - cheers guys 🙂

Well, there is always this:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Maintenance/66864/

:w00t:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply