select in subquery

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item select in subquery

• Nice one, thanks Ron
    This has bitten me in the past (especially when it comes to maintaining someone else's code)

• I twill work if you don't use two part naming convention but reference the correct Column in the Sub Query.

i.e.

IN (

SELECT schema_id FROM schemas_cte

);

Instead of this

IN

(
    SELECT schemaid FROM schemas_cte
    );

• And this is why you should ALWAYS use two-part column names, preferably with well chosen table aliases.

Just because you're right doesn't mean everybody else is wrong.

• SimonH - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:52 AM

I twill work if you don't use two part naming convention but reference the correct Column in the Sub Query.

i.e.

IN (

);

Instead of this

IN

(
    );

I know, I had a typo myself but wondered why this still works and not gave an error.

• Rune Bivrin - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 2:19 AM

And this is why you should ALWAYS use two-part column names, preferably with well chosen table aliases.

I could not agree more.

Fascinating question. 
    Thanks, RoNoS!

• RoNoS - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 2:26 AM

SimonH - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:52 AM

I twill work if you don't use two part naming convention but reference the correct Column in the Sub Query.

i.e.

IN (

);

Instead of this

IN

(
    );

I know, I had a typo myself but wondered why this still works and not gave an error.

I did not read the explanation after getting the answer correct, but the simple reason it worked is due to how the sub-query works.  Since SQL Server could not find the column name in the table in sub-query it went to the outer query and found the column name there and used it to resolve the SELECT statement in the sub-query.  Since there were two values in the outer query table, it returned two rows in the sub-query.

• RoNoS - Monday, April 2, 2018 9:25 PM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item select in subquery

And this is one of the many reasons most Data Analyst people I work with can't stand T-SQL. ๐Ÿ™‚ They tend to use this type of construct all the time.

• qbrt - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:43 AM

RoNoS - Monday, April 2, 2018 9:25 PM

And this is one of the many reasons most Data Analyst people I work with can't stand T-SQL. ๐Ÿ™‚ They tend to use this type of construct all the time.

I don't have access to other systems like Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, but I wouldn't be surprised if correlated sub-queries worked the same way in them.  Also, if you follow best practices, you don't run into this problem.  One of the reasons I keep pushing using table aliases and two-part naming conventions even on single table queries.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:06 AM

qbrt - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:43 AM

I don't have access to other systems like Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, but I wouldn't be surprised if correlated sub-queries worked the same way in them.  Also, if you follow best practices, you don't run into this problem.  One of the reasons I keep pushing using table aliases and two-part naming conventions even on single table queries.

Yes, agree with your statement here. Following some good practices minimizes many of these gotchas.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:06 AM

qbrt - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:43 AM

Having worked on DB2 & Oracle, i can confirm that correlated subqueries work in exactly the same way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply