Select CPU or cores

• Hi All,

I try to get the new hardware for SQL server 2008 R2(Ent) on Windows 2008 R2(Ent).

Now the problem that I face is selection for CPU between 2X12(cpuXcore) or 4X4, assume CPU has the same speed and cache.

If anyone can share the idea, I will really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

James Jarupan

• The 2x12 gives you 24 cores vs the 16 that the 4x4 would, and if you're licensing by processor as opposed to CAL it's half the licensing costs as well.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank Gail,

Do you know whether it will be performance issue if I go by 2X12 instead of 4X4? By Licensing is just as you said. Any idea if we look by performance? I read some document that show all cores will use share process on CPU, will this be the problem if I select 2X12?

It may be good if I can test it both scenario and see performance, but in real world I can not. Need to rely on your experience.

Thanks again.

James jarupan

• Well 2x12 gives 8 more cores to do work. My only concern would be the cache, a 12 core processor should have a lot more L2 and L3 cache than a 4 core.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply