Seed AG Primary and Secondary with Log Shipping

• I am planning a SQL Server migration from 2008/08R2 up to SQL Server 2017 Availability Group. I have 3 08/08R2 stand-alone instances that I'm migrating.  Can I use log shipping on SRV1  running 2008 to secondaries like SRV2 and SRV3 that are running SQL Server 2017 and then establish an AG on SRV2/3 with those migrated databases?  I'm trying to avoid what I think I need to do which is migrate from SRV1 to SRV2 using log shipping, then back up the databases on SRV2 and restore to SRV3, then establish the AG with the databases on SRV2.3.  Looking for ways to minimize downtime.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Yes - you can restore to both the primary and the secondary in an AG.  I would recommend trying it out - you have the new system available so you can test the process and bring the primary online (WITH RECOVERY) and add the database to the AG.

Note: disable TLOG backups on the new system until after the database has been added.  If the new system performs a tlog backup before you have added the database to the AG then you won't be able to synchronize.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply