Security Update KB954606 Applies to Express Edition ?

• Hello

I am trying to apply Security update KB954606

but it fails every time giving me an error.

We have SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2. 9.00.3042

Error: Previous installation pending it also gives a solution to go to Add/Remove Programs , click SQL Server instance name and click modify and proceed from there... ( which I did not do yet.)

I then checked with Micorsoft Security bulletin MS08-052 (Under Non-Affected Softwares I see SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Sp2 )

Does it mean this security update doesn't apply to SQL Server Express Edition SP2 (then why this updates shows up in windows updates monitoring tool)

Please clarify.

Thanks,

IM

• At this point in the game, I would recommend that you install SQL Express SP3 and update to the latest service pack rather than just applying the GDI+ update.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3181842A-4090-4431-ACDD-9A1C832E65A6&displaylang=en

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Sp3 is released on Dec 15, not even a week ago...

We cannot apply SP3 on our server now... may be after a month or two.

Thanks for the advice.

Any other suggestion or information ??

• Look at the Setup Bootstrap folder and provide the output of the Summary.txt file. That should have the necessary details to try and help guide you towards a solution. Since this is a critical security update, you can also use the free support for security updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552

Personally, installing a Service pack over a Out of band update would be preferential since Service Packs get a higher level of regression testing than Cummulative and out of band updates do. SP3 has been tested much more than the individual update you are applying has.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Thanks Jonathan.

I emailed Microsoft my questions , as soon I hear from them,... I will update this thread.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

IM

• I got reply from Microsoft, I asked them some thing, they answered me something else.

I asked them if Security update KB954606 is applicable to SQL Server Sp2 Express edition.

Answer I was expecting was yes/ no.

But Microsoft has sent me some thing else.

---

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is Judy, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is SRX1087251159. You can contact me directly by sending an email to v-30juwu@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID in the subject line.

From the case log, I understand that Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB954606) could not be installed. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I fully understand the inconvenience you have experienced. We will work together to resolve this issue through the course of the case.

This issue may occur if the Windows Update Software distribution folder has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit the Windows Update site.

Step 1: Rename the temporary folder of Windows Update.

===============================================

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: cmd and press "Enter". Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press "Enter". You will receive a message stating the "Automatic Updates service" was stopped successfully.

2. Click "Start", "Run", type: %windir% and press "Enter".

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder "SoftwareDistribution" to "SDold".

4. Click "Start", "Run", type: cmd and press "Enter". Type in "net start WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press "Enter" to restart the "Automatic Updates service".

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully started. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

After finish the above steps, please try to scan for updates again. If the update still fail to be installed, let’s manually install it to check the issue:

Step 2: How to manually install the SQL Server update

==================================

1. Please refer to the following link to download the update, and save it on your Desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4603c722-2468-4adb-b945-2ed0458b8f47&DisplayLang=en

If you are running 32-bit, Please choose SQLServer2005- KB954606-x86-ENU.exe

If you are running 64-bit, Please choose SQLServer2005- KB954606-x64-ENU.exe

2. Please double-click the downloaded file to install it.

If the update still cannot be installed, I recommend contacting our SQL Support team, which specializes in this type of issue.

Please refer to the information below to contact SQL Support:

Support for SQL Server 2005

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2855

For your convenience, I also would like to share some useful link for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948109/en-us

Please try my suggestion and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I await your response.

Best Regards,

Judy Wu

--- Can you guys please tell me, if Security Update KB954606 is applicable to SQL Server Express Edition SP2.

on download page, it says.

"This update is applicable to SQL Server 2005 SP2 RTM instances."

But in Security Bulletin MS08-052, where I can see this security update realease note and link to download, in the same web page, under Non-Affected Softwares I see SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Sp2.

I am confused... if this security update KB954606 is applicable to

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Sp2.

I tried Installing but installation fails every time.

Please Clarify.

Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply