Security error when adding a second node

• I have 2 node Windows 2003 cluster. SQL 2008 R2 is installed on the active node and I am trying to get it installed on the second node. Going through the set up wizard I get to the Service Accounts and need to enter the passwords. I enter the correct passwords and it tells me that the account or passwords are incorrect. I have copied and pasted them, reentered them manually etc and this is not the issue (just like so many other MS error messages).

The accounts are local and domain admin accounts.

They have log on as service permissions.

I am using the accounts to actually do the install and have verified the password and permissions.

This is in a Virtual Environment, however, I do not know the details.

This screen does not allow you to change anything except the passwords. The accounts are not changeable. Server is a member of the domain.

Where to look next. Install has not even started yet as SQL is still gathering information.

Raymond Laubert
    Exceptional DBA of 2009 Finalist
    MCT, MCDBA, MCITP:SQL 2005 Admin,
    MCSE, OCP:10g

• Try adding the node using the setup command line install.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Tried command line as well. Still getting the same error that the accounts/passwords are invalid, yet these are domain accounts that were used to log into the server for the install and are valid passwords.

Can find very little on the web dealing with adding a second node to a cluster and security issues.

Would appreciate some help if anyone has any ideas.

Cluster is up with a single node and SQL is installed on that node without issues.

Thanks

Raymond Laubert

• has the installed instance had any CUs applied?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• No, we are still trying to get the initial install completed. SP and CU will be applied once the cluster is up and running.

Raymond Laubert

• Turns out this was a Windows AD issue. Our previous SE, had moved the Domain Controllers out of the default OU and into sub OU for each environment (location). After working with MS and being bounched around from tech to tech I was dropped into the laps of the AD people. Their first requirement was move the DC back into the default OU. Apparently there are policies and stuff on this OU that the DC need, although we could not see them.

Anyway, with the DC back where they belong, the second node installed without issues.

Now,

A. Why did the cluster install at all?

B. How do you document the OU issue?

C. Why did it take several days and hours on the phone to find this out?

More questions than answers... but at least that tasks is done.

Raymond Laubert

• Least you got it sorted. Time to give the AD admins a grilling.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply