Search for a String in all Stored Procedures and beyond?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Search for a String in all Stored Procedures and beyond?

• this script will really help me out, but I am getting an error.

Msg 137, Level 15, State 2, Line 21

Must declare the scalar variable "@searchString".

• well I can fix declare issue by just commenting out the extra string option. I also only have one database i need to search. when I search all the db's I get errors because of a corrupted db. Which I will delete.

but when I run this on just the database i need it to run on, I get records with empty results . Using sql express I see Database_Name as a column header stored procedure Name as a column header and Routine Definition as a Column header, but no data in the records?

• Instead of commenting out that line, @searchString should be replaced with @SString.

• The script searches for patterns in INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES

SET @sqlstm = 'Select Specific_Catalog as Database_Name, Routine_Name as ''Stored Procedure Name'',Routine_Definition

From '+ @getdbname+'.Information_Schema.Routines

Where PatIndex('+''''+@SString+''''+', Routine_Definition) > 0'

The ROUTINE_DEFINITION column here is nvarchar(4000) and only one row is stored per stored procedure/function. Any stored procedure/function that are bigger than nvarchar(4000) will not have the extra contents searched for the pattern.

It would be better to use sys.sql_modules (checking on the definition column there which is nvarchar(max) and hence will store all the stored procedure/function content)

SET @sqlstm = '

Select T1.Specific_Catalog as Database_Name, T1.Routine_Name as ''Stored Procedure Name'',T2.definition

From '+ @getdbname+'.Information_Schema.Routines T1 INNER JOIN '+ @getdbname+'.sys.sql_modules T2

ON T1.ROUTINE_NAME = OBJECT_NAME(T2.object_id)

Where PatIndex('+''''+@SString+''''+', T2.definition) > 0'

• This is pretty standard stuff. It's nice, but needs more options.

It does not work on SQL Server 7 (I know, but our company is cheap and doesn't want to upgrade some of our applications).

I wrote an ASP page that does the same, but it also determines if it is SQL 7 or higher, and there is an option to let you choose a DB or search all DB's on the server.

Yes, it's ugly, but it works. I might add more to it later. The lines that start with sqlCmd.CommandText are the ones containin the sql code.

You'll have to play with this a little to get it working in SQL server, b/c I've had to quote a lot of things to format it for use in an ASP(vb.net) page.

If (Database.Equals("")) Then 'Search All Databases

If (ver < 8) Then

sqlCmd.CommandText = "exec sp_MSForEachDB @command1='use [?];SELECT OBJECT_NAME(id) as ROUTINE_CATALOG, ''[?]'' as ROUTINE_NAME, '' '' as ROUTINE_TYPE, '' '' as CREATED FROM syscomments WHERE [text] LIKE ''%" + SearchString + "%'' AND OBJECTPROPERTY(id, ''IsProcedure'') = 1 GROUP BY OBJECT_NAME(id); '"

Else

sqlCmd.CommandText = "exec sp_MSForEachDB @command1='use [?];SELECT ROUTINE_CATALOG, ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_TYPE, CREATED FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES WHERE ROUTINE_DEFINITION LIKE ''%" + SearchString + "%'' AND (ROUTINE_TYPE=''PROCEDURE'' or ROUTINE_TYPE=''FUNCTION''); '"

End If

Else ' Search only the specified Database

If (ver < 8) Then

sqlCmd.CommandText = "use " + Database + ";SELECT OBJECT_NAME(id) as ROUTINE_CATALOG, '" + Database + "' as ROUTINE_NAME, ' ' as ROUTINE_TYPE, ' ' as CREATED FROM syscomments WHERE [text] LIKE '%" + SearchString + "%' AND OBJECTPROPERTY(id, 'IsProcedure') = 1 GROUP BY OBJECT_NAME(id);"

Else

sqlCmd.CommandText = "use " + Database + ";SELECT ROUTINE_CATALOG, ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_TYPE, CREATED FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES WHERE ROUTINE_DEFINITION LIKE '%" + SearchString + "%' AND (ROUTINE_TYPE='PROCEDURE' or ROUTINE_TYPE='FUNCTION');"

End If

End If

• good stuff.. need to make it work for triggers & functions...

• here is another method which searches in stored procedured and also in triggers and functions:

http://it.expertmonster.com/question/How-to-search-in-stored-procedures-108.html

http://it.expertmonster.com/ :discuss:

• Try this.

SELECT ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_DEFINITION

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES

WHERE ROUTINE_DEFINITION LIKE '%foobar%'

AND ROUTINE_TYPE='PROCEDURE'

Replace foobar with the string you are searching inside a stored procedure.

This query lists out all the stored procedures in the databse which are using that particulat string.

Hope this helps.

• I've tested this query against sample DB and against my current search query:

select distinct object_name(sc.id) [name]

from syscomments sc

Where PatIndex('%<text, varchar(200),>%' , text ) > 0

However posted query is a little bit faster, it does not work correctly. In my test, my procedure returned 2 more SP, and thay had a string I looked for.

• Didn't like the solution. There is an error in it (already noted in a previous post). Added to that, I have a method that also searches views. The extra search of the syscomments.text was applied for very long procedures.

DECLARE @SQL NVARCHAR(MAX) -- Parameter to sp_MSforeachdb

-- Parameters into @SQL

DECLARE @SearchText varchar(100) = '<Place the String Here>'

SET @SearchText = '%' + @SearchText + '%'

IF OBJECT_ID('TEMPDB..##Report') IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

DROP TABLE ##Report;-- Drop the temp table if already exists

END

CREATE TABLE ##Report(

db VARCHAR(100),

[DB Object] VARCHAR(100),

[DB Object Type] VARCHAR(100),

[Definition] NVARCHAR(MAX),

create_date DATETIME,

modify_date DATETIME

)

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF;

SET @SQL = REPLACE("

USE [?];

DECLARE @db VARCHAR(100) = '?';

INSERT INTO ##Report

SELECT @db [db],*

FROM (

SELECT * FROM (

SELECT DISTINCT ROUTINE_SCHEMA + '.' + ROUTINE_NAME [DB Object], ROUTINE_TYPE AS [DB Object Type], ROUTINE_DEFINITION, o.create_date, o.modify_date

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES i

INNER JOIN (SELECT o.name, c.text [ROUTINE_TEXT], o.create_date, o.modify_date

FROM sys.syscomments c

INNER JOIN sys.objects o on c.id = o.object_id) O

ON i.ROUTINE_NAME = O.name

WHERE PatIndex('@SearchText',ROUTINE_DEFINITION) + PatIndex('@SearchText',ROUTINE_TEXT) > 0

UNION ALL

SELECT TABLE_SCHEMA + '.' + TABLE_NAME [DB Object], 'VIEW' AS [DB Object Type], VIEW_DEFINITION, o.create_date, o.modify_date

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.VIEWS i

INNER JOIN (SELECT o.name, c.text [ROUTINE_TEXT], o.create_date, o.modify_date

FROM sys.syscomments c

INNER JOIN sys.objects o on c.id = o.object_id) O

ON i.TABLE_NAME = O.name

WHERE PatIndex('@SearchText',VIEW_DEFINITION) > 0

) A

) B

ORDER BY 1,3,2

","@SearchText",@SearchText)

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON;

BEGIN TRY

EXEC sp_MSforeachdb @SQL;

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

PRINT ERROR_MESSAGE()

PRINT @SQL

END CATCH

SELECT * FROM ##Report ORDER BY db,modify_date desc, [DB Object Type],[DB Object];

DROP TABLE ##Report;

• Hi, here a further alternative:

select

object_name(object_id) as Name

from

sys.sql_modules

where

definition like '%your_string_comes_here%'

order by

Name

In combination with sp_foreachdb this one can also do the job.

Cheerio, R.

• Nobody seems to care about the maybe remote possibility of having the searched string splitted between two rows of syscomments, if the code is big enough to span over 4000 characters. The text column is actually a nvarchar(4000), so it is not uncommon to have a bigger SP and you'll not detect a string splitted in between. I wrote a function to deal with this situation, just joining two syscomments to get in a row the two contiguous text blocks:

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.fn_objects_text_search(

@object_name varchar(128),

@searched_text varchar(100)

) RETURNS int

AS

BEGIN

RETURN (

SELECT

-- Return 1 if any match found, 0 else ----

CASE WHEN EXISTS(

-- Mark matches by block ----

SELECT 1

FROM

(

SELECT

CASE

-- Found in the first block ----

WHEN text1 LIKE '%' + @searched_text + '%' THEN 1

-- Found in the second block ----

WHEN text2 LIKE '%' + @searched_text + '%' THEN 1

-- Found in the boundary ----

WHEN RIGHT( text1, LEN( @searched_text ) ) + LEFT( text2, LEN( @searched_text ) ) LIKE '%' + @searched_text + '%' THEN 1

ELSE 0

END AS found

FROM (

-- Get first and second 4000 nchar blocks in the same row ----

SELECT

c.text as text1,

isnull( c2.text, '' ) AS text2

FROM

syscomments c

INNER JOIN

sysobjects o

ON

c.id = o.id

INNER JOIN

syscomments c2

ON

c.id = c2.id AND c2.colid = c.colid + 1

WHERE

name = @object_name

) AS a

) AS b

WHERE found <> 0

)

THEN 1

ELSE 0

END AS found

)

END

• Thanks for the script.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply