Search All Tables

• Okay, there has to be a better way to to what I want to accomplish, I just can't figure it out. I want to search all my tables in the database and then tell me which one has a column name = Compkey and that Compkey is = 270188. I wrote the following script:

select 'SELECT * FROM' + ' ' + TABLE_SCHEMA+'.'+ TABLE_NAME + ' WHERE ' + COLUMN_NAME + '=''270188''' --ENTER COMPKEY HERE

from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

where COLUMN_NAME = 'COMPKEY'

order by TABLE_SCHEMA

This works, the only problem is I then get 411 queries that I need to run to find the tables that has compkey = 270188. Any suggestions here?

Thanks!!!

Jordon

• Nope, that's pretty much how it's done.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/13/2012)

Nope, that's pretty much how it's done.

Well at least I know that I haven't completely lost my mind. Do you know of a way for all those query results to go to a textfile, so that I can run them all at once and have a log file at the end?

• In management studio, select results to file and specify the file name.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • create a temp table,and change the query to insert something into the table instead of a simple select...maybe the table name and the column name or something...or a PK...

you can use select * because every table could have a different schema.

CREATE TABLE #Global(ColumnList varchar(30))

select 'INSERT INTO #Global SELECT ColumnList FROM' + ' ' + TABLE_SCHEMA+'.'+ TABLE_NAME + ' WHERE ' + COLUMN_NAME + '=''270188''' --ENTER COMPKEY HERE

from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

where COLUMN_NAME = 'COMPKEY'

order by TABLE_SCHEMA

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• select 'select ''' + a.TABLE_NAME + ''' as TABLE_NAME from [' + a.TABLE_SCHEMA + '].[' + a.TABLE_NAME + '] where COMPKEY = 270188 union'

from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES a

join INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS b

on a.TABLE_NAME = b.TABLE_NAME

and a.TABLE_SCHEMA = b.TABLE_SCHEMA

and b.COLUMN_NAME = 'COMPKEY'

Try something like this, will be slightly less painful. Manually remove the trailing "union", copy/paste/run and you should get a list of table names where that column with that value appear.

-Ken

• That one worked perfectly!!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply