Seamless Upgrade

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Seamless Upgrade

• Seamless upgrade? Now that was an unexpected topic 😀

I'm in two minds about whether it's truely a new version, but they've certainly put in a lot of work and there are real new features. Some of them could well have gone into a service pack (such as Analysis Services/MDX performance improvements) and then everyone would be happier about doing the upgrade. As a new version I'd expect some gotchas, but if they come out with a clear statement that existing databases and processes won't be broken, then heck I trust them sufficiently that I will put it onto a test server pretty promptly after RTM. A clear statement like that will make things easier for me.

• What if...?

Let's start with the nasty first. What if this 2008 is just an upgrade but by calling it a new product version they force end-of-life for SQL 2000. I was just talking to one of the IT directors of a very large company. I informed him of the February date. He had not realized that this starts EOL for 2000. He thought that this might be the final excuse to convince the rest of his organization to make the move to 2005.

What if those folk in the Northwest have just gotten soggy and can't think of a good way to rewrite the product from the ground up that does not make them look like Oracle or DB2?

As for the launch before the product is complete, we've seen this before. In the U.S. there are infamous names like Jim Bede and Preston Tucker. We call that kind of thing "Vaporware".

ATBCharles Kincaid

• I wouldn't say the wheel on M$ train is coming off but I do think a few nuts are loose.

Look at all they are doing right now - Vista, Longhorn, Katmai, Office 2007.

Look at all the problems they each have.

All of them are suffering growing pains and problems and their self imposed release schedule is to do it all again in a few years.

Corporate America needs to wake up and quit feeding the cash cow. SQL2000 is running our operation with no upgrade path available except one. The SQL product will be dumped and the current program will only be used for archival purposes for 2 years. No need to upgrade.

Vista will not be adopted in favor of keeping XP. Office 2003 will be used until further notice. None of the newest products offer "must have" improvements or enhancements.

Maybe M$ should turn their next server version over to Bungie and use a Master Chief interface!

At least then, it would be way more fun blasting old data and bugs out of your system. :w00t:

• Actually it's April 8 for 2000. And that's the end for mainstream support. You'll still get security patches and you can pay (through the an orifice) for extended support after that.

I wonder if it's an EOL thing. The date might get extended since I'm not sure 2008 will be RTM'd by then, but we'll see.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply