Script To permissions

• Is it possible to allow users to right-click an object and Script To, without them having the permissions to then actually run that script?

Several of my developers want the ability to do this in the production database, so they can copy and paste it as a base to then work in development. Also to use as a comparison tool against whatever they've done in development.

• SSMS assumes you have sysadmin rights on so many things, my knee jerk reaction is "no, not for right click"

if a developer has VIEW DEFINITION permissions, that's sufficient to use a stored procedure to script out an object definition like my sp_GetDDLa.txt example procedure does.

that permission lets someone view the schema/definitions, but not the data in the objects.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• That script rocks!!! It should meet the developers' needs. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply