Script to Generate Table to Stored Procedure Cross References

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Script to Generate Table to Stored Procedure Cross References

• Nifty!

As a rule, I need to know where the columns are being used. Since the primary server has over 180000 objects on it of many different types, I need to know more than procedures. So, here is my take on your query.

WITH TableList_CTE (TableName)

AS

(

SELECT TABLE_NAME + CHAR(32) AS TableName

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES T

WHERE t.TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'

)

SELECT TableName, OBJECT_NAME(OBJECT_ID) AS ProcedureName,

CASE WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsReplProc') = 1 THEN 'Replication Stored Procedure'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsExtendedProc') = 1 THEN 'Extended Stored Procedure'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsProcedure') = 1 THEN 'Stored Procedure'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsTrigger') = 1 THEN 'Trigger'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsTableFunction') = 1 THEN 'Table-Valued Function'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsScalarFunction') = 1 THEN 'Scalar-Valued Function'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsInlineFunction') = 1 THEN 'Inline function'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsView') = 1 THEN 'View'

ELSE 'Unknown' END AS ProcedureType

FROM sys.sql_modules S

JOIN TableList_CTE ON 1 = 1

ORDER BY TableName

• Why is a char(32) being added to the table name? I noticed that this script is missing references, I wonder if this could be why?

I'm also curious, why is there an inner join on 1=1? Any reason for this instead of just using a cross join if that was the intended behavior?

• chr(32) (space) isn't the only terminator... you can have brackets, return chars, semi-colons etc..

I submitted a script not dissimilar to yours, which also considers these characters.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/SQL+Server+7/65162/

Regards,

David.

• Nice Script. Thanks. Fills the missing link.

Added the DISTINCT keyword to the last part as it was giving me duplicates. Otherwise works great.

Amended dcript below:

AS

(

SELECT TABLE_NAME + CHAR(32) as TableName

WHERE t.TABLE_TYPE='BASE TABLE'

)

SELECT DISTINCT TableName,OBJECT_NAME(object_id) as StoredProcedure

FROM sys.sql_modules S

Join TableList_CTE on 1=1

WHERE objectproperty(object_id,'IsProcedure') = 1

AND CHARINDEX(TableName,Definition,0)<>0

Order by TableName

• Reply to SSC-Enthusiastic:

Nice addition.

Missing a WHERE clause in the inner query:

WHERE CHARINDEX(TableName,Definition,0)<>0

AND a DISTINCT clause.

Amended query:

AS

(

SELECT TABLE_NAME + CHAR(32) AS TableName

WHERE t.TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'

)

SELECT DISTINCT TableName, OBJECT_NAME(OBJECT_ID) AS ProcedureName,

CASE WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsReplProc') = 1 THEN 'Replication Stored Procedure'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsExtendedProc') = 1 THEN 'Extended Stored Procedure'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsProcedure') = 1 THEN 'Stored Procedure'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsTrigger') = 1 THEN 'Trigger'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsTableFunction') = 1 THEN 'Table-Valued Function'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsScalarFunction') = 1 THEN 'Scalar-Valued Function'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsInlineFunction') = 1 THEN 'Inline function'

WHEN OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID, 'IsView') = 1 THEN 'View'

ELSE 'Unknown' END AS ProcedureType

FROM sys.sql_modules S

JOIN TableList_CTE ON 1 = 1

WHERE CHARINDEX(TableName,Definition,0)<>0

ORDER BY TableName

• You could probably improve performance a little by using CHARINDEX(TableName,Definition,0)>0 instead of CHARINDEX(TableName,Definition,0)<>0. CharIndex would never be negative, right?, so > would be more efficient than <>. If you look at the execution plans, using <> causes a hash match step that is not needed using just > (at least on my machine running SQL 2008).

• I happen to have tables with the same name in different schemas (mainly staging.<tablename> and dw.<tablename>), so I tweaked the query a little to display (and use) full table names.

AS (

SELECT

TABLE_SCHEMA + '.' + TABLE_NAME + CHAR(32) as TableName

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES

WHERE TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'

)

SELECT

TableName,

SCHEMA_NAME(O.schema_id) + '.' + OBJECT_NAME(S.object_id) as StoredProcedure

FROM sys.sql_modules S

INNER JOIN sys.objects O ON O.object_id = S.object_id

INNER JOIN TableList_CTE ON 1 = 1

WHERE OBJECTPROPERTY(S.object_id, 'IsProcedure') = 1

AND CHARINDEX(TableName, Definition, 0) > 0

ORDER BY TableName;

• There are 2 DMVs called Reference and Referencing Objects (something like that) that are way powerful, I wrote script that loops through procs and shows what objects (tables, views, fn, other procs) they touch. Very useful if you need to learn a db fast.

• Here is a link that shows the use of sys.sql_expression_dependencies to list objects referencing a table.

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2012/12/02/sql-server-find-referenced-or-referencing-object-in-sql-server-using-sys-sql_expression_dependencies/

• Alberto Turelli (6/24/2015)

I happen to have tables with the same name in different schemas (mainly staging.<tablename> and dw.<tablename>), so I tweaked the query a little to display (and use) full table names.

AS (

SELECT

)

SELECT

TableName,

SCHEMA_NAME(O.schema_id) + '.' + OBJECT_NAME(S.object_id) as StoredProcedure

FROM sys.sql_modules S

INNER JOIN sys.objects O ON O.object_id = S.object_id

AND CHARINDEX(TableName, Definition, 0) > 0

ORDER BY TableName;

Alberto:

Your script is not catching tables not being referenced by fully qualified name, but just the table name.

Amended:

AS (

SELECT

)

SELECT

TableName,

SCHEMA_NAME(O.schema_id) + '.' + OBJECT_NAME(s.object_id) as StoredProcedure

FROM sys.sql_modules S

INNER JOIN sys.objects O ON s.object_id = o.object_id

AND CHARINDEX(RIGHT(TableName, LEN(TableName)-LEN(SCHEMA_NAME(O.schema_id))), Definition, 0) <> 0

ORDER BY TableName;

• Thanks for the tip, Aleksey.

As suggested above, I took a look at sys.dm_sql_referencing_entities and I got to this:

SELECT

SCHEMA_NAME(T.schema_id) + '.' + T.name AS full_table_name,

RE.referencing_schema_name + '.' + RE.referencing_entity_name AS full_proc_name

FROM sys.objects T

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_sql_referencing_entities (SCHEMA_NAME(T.schema_id) + '.' + T.name, 'OBJECT') RE

INNER JOIN sys.objects P ON RE.referencing_id = P.object_id AND P.type = 'P'

WHERE T.type = 'U'

ORDER BY full_table_name,

full_proc_name;

This approach, though, doesn't show some simple SPs I have that simply add constraints to a table (via some ALTER TABLE commands).

• Thanks for the script and the extra comments.

• Excellent scripts. In my testing I found a couple of issues though. When I used the code that uses sys.sql_modules (Alesksey's reply to Alberto) I got some false hits. This happened when the comments (or commented out code) in a stored procedure contained the name of an existing table. This also happened if the name of an existing table formed PART of a table's name in the stored procedure. For example; I have a table named "processes" in a database. The code returned 3 procedures that referenced that table. But in reality the procedures referenced 'sysprocesses'.

On the up side though that same code caught references to tables in procedures that used dynamic SQL. These were missed in the code (for obvious reasons) in the code from Alberto in his reply to Aleksey.

Thanks for all the code. I find both examples to be extremely useful.

Lee

• Lots of theses issues seem text related, using the names of objects for matching -- can we use numeric ids? IT must be searching the text of the procs, thus the false matches, so comments, even quoted text may throw it. I will mess with it but just wondering. Also I am having some issues with schemas, the DMV will show objects form some schemas not others, probably based on what schema I am running the DMV from?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply