Script to Evaluate Datatype Usage or choice

• Hey All,

I'm trying to find a script that could be run against all tables to evaluate the datatype of each column. The idea would be to get feedback on whether performance could be improved if the column was switched to different datatype. Also, it could find situations in which a large datatype is being used unnecessarily and a smaller one could be set based on the actual data in the column.

I'd figure that I'd ask here, as I'm not finding anything with a quick google search. Please let me know if there is a blog post or script that someone has written already.

Thanks

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• The SQLFacts tool (one of 44 tools), found in the free SQLFacts toolkit (http://www.SQLFacts.com), returns many result sets that evaluate data types. The most relevant result set would be Questionable Data Types (#45), but Data Type Analysis / Primary Keys (#31), Data Type Analysis / Table Columns (#32), Data Type Analysis / Routine Parameters (#33) might be useful for you as well.

Creator of SQLFacts, a free suite of tools for SQL Server database professionals.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply