Script to create Triggers

• Thanks for the advise Gail. I tried to modify the script.

• You didn't even try to run that...

Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Procedure TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User, Line 15

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'EXISTS'.

Go back and look at Hugo's example of an EXISTS clause:

In this specific case IN and EXISTS are equivalent so you could leave it at that, but I want my code to be consistent - hence the choice to never use IN with subquery. My WHERE clause would be:

WHERE EXISTS

(SELECT *

FROM inserted AS i

WHERE i.User_ID = Users.User_ID);

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sorry I was trying to update this from my phone as I had no access to system.

Please see updated script.

USE [Test]

GO

/****** Object: Trigger [dbo].[TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User] Script Date: 1/30/2016 10:33:30 AM ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User]

ON [dbo].[Users]

FOR UPDATE

AS

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0

RETURN;

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INSERTED) RETURN;

SET NOCOUNT ON;

BEGIN

UPDATE [dbo].[Users]

SET Aud_Update_Datetime=CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, Aud_Update_User=SUSER_SNAME()

WHERE EXISTS

(SELECT * FROM inserted AS i

END

GO

• Looks a lot better this way!

Final remarks:

* Try to avoid using [brackets] where they are not needed. In your case, the brackets around [dbo], [Users], and [TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User] are not needed. On the other hand, since User_ID is a reserverd words I would recommend using [User_ID] where it is used (unless you have the option to change the colum name, which would be my first preference).

* The BEGIN and END in the trigger are superfluous.

* I recommend that you also include the two lines of comments from my sample in the trigger. You want to make sure that your coworkers and successors never open the trigger and add some code at the start - since that would invalidate the @@ROWCOUNT test in the first statement.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• You don't need both of these, they're checking for the same thing.

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0

RETURN;

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Appreciate your help on this Hugo & Gail!

Updated the script:

USE [Test]

GO

/****** Object: Trigger [dbo].[TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User] Script Date: 1/30/2016 10:58:39 AM ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER TRIGGER dbo.TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User

ON [dbo].[Users]

FOR UPDATE

AS

-- Do not put anything before these lines!

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INSERTED) RETURN; -- Change to deleted for ON / AFTER DELETE trigger

-- Rest of the code follows after this line

UPDATE dbo.Users

WHERE EXISTS

(SELECT *

FROM inserted AS i

• GilaMonster (1/30/2016)

You don't need both of these, they're checking for the same thing.

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0

RETURN;

True on SQL Server 2005 and older.

With a MERGE statement, @@ROWCOUNT can be non-zero but the inserted pseudo-table can be empty. You could argue that the @@ROWCOUNT test is superfluous but I like to start with this to ensure the fastest return from the stored procedure in the majority of no-rows-affected cases.

• SQL!$@w$0ME (1/30/2016)

Appreciate your help on this Hugo & Gail!

Updated the script:

USE [Test]

GO

/****** Object: Trigger [dbo].[TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User] Script Date: 1/30/2016 10:58:39 AM ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER TRIGGER dbo.TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User

ON [dbo].[Users]

FOR UPDATE

AS

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INSERTED) RETURN; -- Change to deleted for ON / AFTER DELETE trigger

UPDATE dbo.Users

WHERE EXISTS

(SELECT *

FROM inserted AS i

As you see, Gail and I disagree on the double test of @@ROWCOUNT and EXISTS FROM inserted. Both approaches are valid, just pick one and stick to it.

I would still include the SET NOCOUNT ON at the start of every trigger (after the @@ROWCOUNT test if you decide to bring it back), to make sure that you never get "xx rows affected" messages from your trigger.

• Thanks!

USE [Test]

GO

/****** Object: Trigger [dbo].[TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User] Script Date: 1/30/2016 11:16:58 AM ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[TR_Aud_Update_Datetime_Update_User]

ON [dbo].[Users]

FOR UPDATE

AS

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0 RETURN; -- With a MERGE statement, @@ROWCOUNT can be non-zero but the inserted pseudo-table can be empty. Not required on SQL Server 2005 and older

SET NOCOUNT ON; -- To make sure that you never get "xx rows affected" messages from your trigger

BEGIN

UPDATE dbo.Users

WHERE EXISTS

(SELECT *

FROM INSERTED AS i

END

GO

• Hugo Kornelis (1/30/2016)

GilaMonster (1/30/2016)

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0

RETURN;

With a MERGE statement, @@ROWCOUNT can be non-zero but the inserted pseudo-table can be empty.

In which case, you probably want the EXISTS check, not the @@Rowcount, as the rowcount can be non-zero when no rows were updated (I assume a MERGE that's only deleting). In fact, in that case, might need to ensure that there are rows in both inserted and deleted as that confirms an update was done.

Yes, exists will be slower than Rowcount, but I suspect that's well down to a ms or less.

Gail Shaw

Hugo Kornelis (1/30/2016)

GilaMonster (1/30/2016)

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0

RETURN;

With a MERGE statement, @@ROWCOUNT can be non-zero but the inserted pseudo-table can be empty.

In which case, you probably want the EXISTS check, not the @@Rowcount, as the rowcount can be non-zero when no rows were updated (I assume a MERGE that's only deleting). In fact, in that case, might need to ensure that there are rows in both inserted and deleted as that confirms an update was done.

Yes, exists will be slower than Rowcount, but I suspect that's well down to a ms or less.

No need to test "deleted" as well. The behaviour of MERGE with triggers is funny. If the MERGE can do an operation (insert, update, or delete), then the appropriate trigger will fire. In that trigger, @@ROWCOUNT will reflect the number of rows affected by the entire MERGE statement, but the inserted and deleted pseudo-tables will only include the rows affected by that specific operation. So if one row in inserted and one row updated, then the ON INSERT trigger will have only the new row in inserted, and the ON UPDATE trigger will have only the modified row in inserted and deleted.

And you're right that the difference is small, but in stuff that I reuse as a standard pattern I always try to optimize as much as feasible.

• Kinda makes sense. You may gather that I barely use MERGE. I think the last time I wrote one was when I was teaching a class on T-SQL commands.

Gail Shaw

Kinda makes sense. You may gather that I barely use MERGE. I think the last time I wrote one was when I was teaching a class on T-SQL commands.

Numerous good reasons (including unfixed bugs and STILL have the UPSERT race condition!!) to not use MERGE. Such a shame too. But it wasn't fully baked when it was released and it has never gotten the attention it needed/deserved from the product team.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (1/30/2016)

Such a shame too. But it wasn't fully baked when it was released and it has never gotten the attention it needed/deserved from the product team.

I could not agree more. The only place I use MERGE is in place of the proprietary UPDATE...JOIN or DELETE...JOIN statements to add protection from error 8672.

Msg 8672, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The MERGE statement attempted to UPDATE or DELETE the same row more than once. This happens when a target row matches more than one source row. A MERGE statement cannot UPDATE/DELETE the same row of the target table multiple times. Refine the ON clause to ensure a target row matches at most one source row, or use the GROUP BY clause to group the source rows.

I have frequently recalled an Aaron Bertrand post on MERGE-Bugs as a reason to be suspicious of MERGE. His post was almost 3 years ago and I was curious what was still open. It is absolutely amazing that not one of the Bugs Aaron detailed have actually been fixed...

#773895 : MERGE Incorrectly Reports Unique Key Violations - Closed as Won't fix

#766165 : MERGE evaluates filtered index per row, not post operation, which causes filtered index violation - Closed as Won't fix

#723696 : Basic MERGE upsert causing deadlocks - Closed as By design

#713699 : A system assertion check has failed ("cxrowset.cpp":1528) - Closed as Won't fix

#699055 : MERGE query plans allow FK and CHECK constraint violations - Closed as Won't fix

#685800 : Parameterized DELETE and MERGE Allow Foreign Key Constraint Violations - Closed as Won't fix

#654746 : merge in SQL2008 SP2 still suffers from "Attempting to set a non-NULL-able column's value to NULL" - Active

#635778 : NOT MATCHED and MATCHED parts of a SQL MERGE statement are not optimized - Active

#633132 : MERGE INTO WITH FILTERED SOURCE does not work properly - Active

#596086 : MERGE statement bug when INSERT/DELETE used and filtered index - Active

#583719 : MERGE statement treats non-nullable computed columns incorrectly in some scenarios - Active

#539084 : MERGE Stmt : Search condition on a non-key column and an ORDER BY in source dervied table breaks MERGE completely - Active

I have not encountered any issues myself with the UPDATE...JOIN-usage or DELETE...JOIN-usage of MERGE and it seems vanilla enough that I have been willing to trade the risk for the benefit...but I am beginning to re-think that.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Orlando Colamatteo (1/30/2016)

TheSQLGuru (1/30/2016)

Such a shame too. But it wasn't fully baked when it was released and it has never gotten the attention it needed/deserved from the product team.

I could not agree more. The only place I use MERGE is in place of the proprietary UPDATE...JOIN or DELETE...JOIN statements to add protection from error 8672.

I use UPDATE ... JOIN or DELETE ... JOIN and make very sure that I check what I'm getting back and that I have 1..1 matches to the tables being deleted/updated/

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply