Script Role Permissions - need HELP!

• I have VB.Net executable that I am trying to convert to PowerShell. This is the sub that extracts permissions for a database role:

Public Sub ObjectPermissions(ByVal dbrname As String)

' this code will enumerate permissions on objects for a role - need to exclude db_* and public roles

Dim dbrp As ObjectPermissionInfo()

dbrp = db.EnumObjectPermissions(dbrname)

Dim opi As ObjectPermissionInfo

If db.Roles(dbrname).IsFixedRole = False And db.Roles(dbrname).Name <> "public" Then

For Each opi In dbrp

fs.WriteLine("GRANT " + opi.PermissionType.ToString + _

" ON [" + opi.ObjectSchema + "].[" + opi.ObjectName + "] TO [" + opi.Grantee + "]")

fs.Flush()

Next

End If

End Sub

I am having trouble with PowerShell not extracting the permissions. This is what I have so far but it doesn't do anything with extracting the permissions:

$objPermission = new-object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ObjectPermissionInfo

foreach ($dbrole in $db.Roles)

{

if (!$dbrole.IsFixedRole -and $dbrole.Name -ne "public")

{

$spcontent=$dbrole.script()

Out-File -InputObject $spcontent -FilePath $filepath -Encoding "Default" -Append

$objPermission=$db.EnumObjectPermissions($dbrole) | Select-Object objectschema, objectname, permissiontype

if ($objPermission)

{

foreach ($rp in $objPermission)

{

$spcontent="GRANT " + $rp.permissiontype.tostring() + " ON [" + $rp.objectschema + "].[" + $rp.objectname + "] TO [" + $dbrole.Name + "]"

Out-File -InputObject $spcontent -FilePath $filepath -Encoding "Default" -Append

}

}

}

}

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• $objPermission=$db.EnumObjectPermissions($dbrole)

You are using $dbrole where before you used dbrname.

Could that be it?

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Hi Gary - dbrname was the database name being passed to the VB.Net sub. In the POSH script, $db is the database and $dbrole is the role in the database.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• My point is that you are using $dbrole as the parameter when previously you where using dbrname. I am guessing that $dbrole and dbrname are not equivalent.

Good luck.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I figured out my problem. I was trying to get the permissions on a Role. Wrong place. It all works well when using the proper objects such as tables, views, stored procedures, etc. :-D:-D

MG

Tony Hoare

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply