Script Out Logins - Domain Change

• Hi,

We are to undergo a Domain Change and therefore current Domain users will need to be recreated under the new Domain, with the same permissions.

My thoughts were to try and script out all details and prepare a script to run which would recreate the profiles under the new Domain.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this are welcomed.

Thanks

Colin

• You can script the users and the object level permissions with the generate script option that is availbale default in SQL 2000. This will script all the necessary permissions for you.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Sugesh,

Thanks for the pointer. In looking at this area I think that I will need to create 3 scripts for each Database on the SQL Instance and run them in the following order, after having changed the reference from the old Domain to the new Domain.

Script SQL Server Logins

Script Database Users

Script Object Permissions.

As this is a considerable amount of work I would like to check my understanding first. Thanks.

Colin

• You can script all in the same file and run against the target server. Why do you want script out each separately.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP

• Just trying to understand the process and ensure that things get created in the right order. A user cannot be allocated to a database if they have not already been created as a server login.

I can run the 3 options together, but will still need to run a script against each database?

Sorry to be slow on the uptake, just want to make sure that I really understand what I will be doing.

Cheers

colin

• If that's the case then script out the logins first, then the database user and finally the object level permissions. Then run against the target server. It good to get things clarified until you have a clear picture i don't mind answering your questions so no worries you can fire tham till you get thing clarified.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP

• Thanks. I think it best to run them in squequence, suits my tidy mind.;-)

Am I right in saying that I need to do the same thing for each database, including system ones?

Cheers

colin

• Yes script for each db and run against it in server.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP

• We did this about a year ago, but we used some tool to do it.  Make sure you change the owners too.  I'm not sure what the outcome would be if they weren't changed, but we had to check and change:

database owners, job owners, maintenance plan owners, object owners, and dts package owners

• A while back, I wrote a script to generate the Alter/update statements by way of chaning the Old_domain to New_domain.  Below is the script;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--SQL 2000 migration script for DBA use, to change the old_domain_name prefix to new_domain_name.

-- DBA: You still need to make sure that you are re-attaching the user or group to fixed role with the new name new_domain_name\..........

-- Written by Wali.

SET NOCOUNT ON

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

SET CURSOR_CLOSE_ON_COMMIT OFF

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF -- to eliminated the null values....

SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL ON

declare @icount as int ,

@next as sysname,

@sql1 as varchar(100),

@sql2 as varchar(100)

SET  @sql1 = 'Exec SP_CONFIGURE '

SET  @sql1 = @sql1 + "'allow updates'"

SET  @sql1 = @sql1 + ',1' + char(10) + 'GO'

SET @sql2 = 'RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE' + char(13) + char(10) + 'GO'

select  @sql1

select  @sql2

SET @icount = 0

SELECT  @icount = (select count(*) from sysusers where charindex('old_domain_name\',name) > 0)

If @icount = 0  -- check for NT names without domain prefix at cont2 label....

Begin

Print  '-->>>> NOT FOUND - NT Account or NT Group with [old_domain_name] prefix found in database [' +db_name() +  '] Server: ' + @@servername

Print ''

goto cont

end

--continue with update

set nocount on

Print '-->>>>     FOUND - NT Account and/or NT Group with [old_domain_name] prefix [' +db_name() +  '] Server: ' + @@servername

Print ''

select @next = ''

while @next is NOT NULL

begin

select @next =  min(name)

from sysusers

where charindex('old_domain_name\',name) > 0  and uid <> 1 and name > @next

if @next is not null

begin

declare @sqlstmt as varchar(1000)

set @sqlstmt = 'update sysusers set name = STUFF(''old_domain_name\'', 1, 4, ''new_domain_name'')+substring( +'''+@next+''' ,6,50)' +

'    where name = ' + ''''+@next+''''

select @sqlstmt

end

end

IF @@error = 0

Begin

Print '-- >>>>>> Complete, generating required domain name changes for NT Account or NT Group from [old_domain_name] to [new_domain_name]   <<<<<< '

end

else

Print '-- >>>>>> Failed, generating require domain name changes for NT and/or User group from [old_domain_name] to [new_domain_name] <<<<<< '

cont: --continue adding domain prefix to NT User or Group where missing

SET @icount = 0

SELECT  @icount = (select count(*) from sysusers where isntname = 1 and charindex('new_domain_name\',name) = 0)

If @icount = 0  -- exit out....

Begin

Print  '-->>>>> NOT FOUND -  NT Account or NT Group with domain prefix missing in database [' +db_name() +  '] Server: ' + @@servername

goto exitdomain

end

Print '-->>>>>    FOUND - NT Account and/or NT Group with Domain prefix missing [' +db_name() +  '] Server: ' + @@servername

select @next = ''

while @next is NOT NULL

begin

select @next =  min(name)

from sysusers

where

charindex('\',name) = 0

and isntname = 1 and uid <> 1 and name > @next

if @next is not null

begin

set @sqlstmt = 'update sysusers set name = STUFF(''12345'', 1, 5, ''new_domain_name\'')+substring( +'''+@next+''' ,1,50)' +

'    where name = ' + ''''+@next+''''

select @sqlstmt

--  exec (@sqlstmt)

end

end

IF @@error = 0

Begin

Print '-- >>>>>> Complete, adding required [new_domain_name]domain name to NT Account or NT Group   <<<<<< '

end

else

Print '-- >>>>>> Failed, adding missing domain name [new_domain_name] for NT User and/or Group from  <<<<<< '

exitdomain:

-- WALI... code to handle mis-match NT SID fix if required... After validating Domain name fix script run

select @next = ''

Declare @ntstr as varchar(1000)

Declare @nextname as varchar(1000)

while @next is NOT NULL

begin

select @next =  min(u.name)

from sysusers as u inner join master.dbo.syslogins as l

on u.sid <> l.sid

Where u.isntname = 1 and

uid <> 1 and

u.sid <> l.sid and u.name > @next

-- logic to handle domain prefix for NT account/group from old_domain_name to new_domain_name....

set @nextname = CASE when charindex('\',@next) > 0 then 

'new_domain_name\' + substring(@next,6,50)

ELSE 'new_domain_name\' + @next

END

Begin

print ''

Print '-- >>>>>>  fixing SID for NT user/group ==> ' + Quotename(@next,"'")

set @ntstr = 'update u set u.sid = l.sid, u.name = l.name  from sysusers as u inner join master.dbo.syslogins as l'+ char(10) +

' on  l.name = u.name Where u.isntname = 1 and  u.name = '+QUOTENAME(+@nextname,"'") + ' and u.sid <> l.sid '

print @ntstr

end

end

-- Reset the configuration override.

SET  @sql1 = 'Exec SP_CONFIGURE '

SET  @sql1 = @sql1 + "'allow updates'"

SET  @sql1 = @sql1 + ',0' + char(10) +  'GO'

SET @sql2 = 'RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE' + char(13) + char(10) + 'GO'

select  @sql1

select  @sql2

SET NOCOUNT OFF

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

SET CURSOR_CLOSE_ON_COMMIT ON

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

SET ANSI_WARNINGS ON

SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

htht,

Wali

• I have a script/stored procedure pair.  If you're interested message me and I can send it along.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply