Script for comparing Login accounts between two SQL2005 servers

• Hey all,

Does anyone have or know of a script that can compare the login accounts on one SQL 2005 server with another SQL 2005 server?

Basically I have a Live server with a SAN array, this is mirrored to a similar array on a DR SAN (that takes care of the data). But I want my DR SQL server to periodically run an SP to compare logins between Live and DR.

If it finds an account on Live which is not on DR, then it should import or create it on DR. If there is an account on DR which does not apperar on Live, then it should be deleted on DR.

Any takers?

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Hey everyone,

OK nobody replied to the question so I have written the script myself.

Basically I used two cursors, one to create a list of logins which are on the live server but not dr (hence require creation on dr) and another to generate a list of logins which are on dr and not live (hence require deletion from dr)

Let me know what you think. Right now all it does is print the result to the screen but that’s an easy change! Hope it is helpful to someone.

-- Declare variables and create temporary tables

Declare @lname1 VARCHAR(50)

Declare @lname2 VARCHAR(50)

DECLARE @Cursor_RecNo1 CURSOR

DECLARE @Cursor_RecNo2 CURSOR

-- Cursor for Create logine statement on LIVE server

SET @Cursor_RecNo1 = CURSOR FOR

SELECT name FROM "LIVE-SERVER\LIVE_INSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS

WHERE name LIKE 'MYDOMAIN\%' AND NAME NOT IN (SELECT name FROM "DR-SERVER\DR_INSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS)

PRINT 'USE "DR-SERVER\DR_INSTANCE".MASTER'

OPEN @Cursor_RecNo1

FETCH NEXT FROM @Cursor_RecNo1 INTO @lname1

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

PRINT 'CREATE LOGIN [' + @lname1 + '] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master])'

END

CLOSE @Cursor_RecNo1

DEALLOCATE @Cursor_RecNo1

-- Cursor for Create logine statement on DR server

SET @Cursor_RecNo2 = CURSOR FOR

SELECT name FROM "DR-SERVER\DR_INSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS

WHERE name LIKE 'MYDOMAIN\%' AND NAME NOT IN (SELECT name FROM "LIVE-SERVER\LIVE-INSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS)

PRINT 'USE "DR-SERVER\DR_INSTANCE".MASTER'

OPEN @Cursor_RecNo2

FETCH NEXT FROM @Cursor_RecNo2 INTO @lname2

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

PRINT 'DROP LOGIN [' + @lname2 + ']'

END

CLOSE @Cursor_RecNo2

DEALLOCATE @Cursor_RecNo2

• Adam,

I was writing the script but was caught up in getting the missing login creation statement execution on DR. I was able to figure out the missing logins but how to bring them from production was a challenge and is still a challenge for me.

Manu

• Hi there Manu,

The script I wrote actually runs from the DR server and pulls data from the Live via a linked server. I went through several different logic versions but finally settled on one using two Cursors (though most people say to avoid), but they worked for me.

SELECT name FROM "LIVESERVER\LIVEINSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS

WHERE name LIKE 'MYDOMAIN\%' AND NAME NOT IN (SELECT name FROM "DRSERVER\DRINSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS)

OPEN @Cursor_RecNo1

This section sets up the Cursor which basically says, select all records from Live that are like 'MYDOMAIN\[anything else]' that are not in DR.

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @sqlstatement1 = 'CREATE LOGIN [' + @lname1 + '] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master]'

The cursor works like an array or while loop, so each time it cycles the output is another missing login record. Basically what the above does is to go off and fetch the next record from the Cursor output and use it to set the @lname1 variable, which is then used in setting the value of @sqlstatement1 for the build statement for the new login.

EXEC (@sqlstatement1)

END

Then the above executes the @sqlstatement1 (which is your login build statement) and because this script is running from DR, there is no need to specify server. Try replacing 'EXEC' with 'PRINT' so you can view the value of @sqlstatement1.

Remember there are two Cursors (@Cursor_RecNo1 and @Cursor_RecNo2), two login name vars (@lname1 and @lname2) and two sql statements (@sqlstatement1 and @sqlstatement2). Here '1' is for the creation of logins and '2' is for the deletion/drop of logins.

CLOSE @Cursor_RecNo1

I then close the Cursor and deallocate its memory space. To drop logins its essentially the same thing but in reverse.

I have modified mine to run initially to create an sp! That way I have created a job which I have scheduled to run weekly and output the results to a text file. This is the suggested usage and was always a part of the logic.

Hope this helps. If I am waffling or too confusing, please let me know and will try to re-phrase. I get that a lot πŸ˜‰

• Hey All, Me again,

While talking to Manu I realised that the version of my script up here is ooooooooooooooooold!

Heres the new version which registers itself as an sp and does everything swisher! Hope its of use. πŸ™‚

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_Compare_Live_to_DR_logins AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- Declare variables and create temporary tables

Declare @lname1 VARCHAR(50)

Declare @lname2 VARCHAR(50)

DECLARE @Cursor_RecNo1 CURSOR

DECLARE @Cursor_RecNo2 CURSOR

DECLARE @sqlstatement1 NVARCHAR(MAX)

DECLARE @sqlstatement2 NVARCHAR(MAX)

-- Cursor for Create login statement on Live

SELECT name FROM "LIVESERVER\LIVEINSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS

WHERE name LIKE 'MYDOMAIN\%' AND NAME NOT IN (SELECT name FROM "DRSERVER\DRINSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS)

OPEN @Cursor_RecNo1

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @sqlstatement1 = 'CREATE LOGIN [' + @lname1 + '] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master]'

EXEC (@sqlstatement1)

END

CLOSE @Cursor_RecNo1

-- Cursor for Drop login statement on DR

SET @Cursor_RecNo2 = CURSOR FOR

SELECT name FROM "DRSERVER\DRINSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS

WHERE name LIKE 'MYDOMAIN\%' AND NAME NOT IN (SELECT name FROM "LIVESERVER\LIVEINSTANCE".MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS)

OPEN @Cursor_RecNo2

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @sqlstatement2 = 'DROP LOGIN [' + @lname2 + ']'

EXEC (@sqlstatement2)

END

CLOSE @Cursor_RecNo2

DEALLOCATE @Cursor_RecNo2

END

GO

• Thanks for the detailed and useful reply Adam. I have one question here:

How are you going to deal with sql logins(in case they are there on live server but not on DR box)?

I have one script that builds create sql login statements(with encrypted password) and can be xecuted on DR or other server to create same sql logins on destination server if they are not present on destination server.

Let me know your answer at your convenience.

Thanks,

Manu

• In my case I am not worried about SQL login accounts as in my company only service accounts are created with SQL accounts all the rest are AD accounts (easier for auditing, licensing and user login). So there arent many and easy to either export or create.

I did consider building the functionality into this script but to be honest I cant really see the use. Microsoft have the SP_HELP_REVLOGIN script (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992/ SQL 2005) which is used to transfer the SQL logins (with their all important SID's). This script is relatively easy to doctor to pull out a specific group of users (for example if you wanted all logins that started 'SQL_'). If you want this I can post.

It is relatively simple to script a create of a new SQL login on another server with the login name and password (encrypted or otherwise) but unless the SID's match there is no point cause the databases will reference the SID's of users on the Live server.

My advice would be use SP_HELP_REVLOGIN to pull the accounts out. That way you get a script to create a duplicate account on your DR server (watch to ensure server roles are transferred). Then you can either reapply all (accepting that you will get errors on accounts that already exist or do a 'drop' operation first.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want doctored MS script.

• Thanks for the prompt reply Adam. I just wanted to confirm about how are you going to deal with sql logins, nothing else. I do agree that sp_help_revlogin script is best for this but was thinking if its possible to automate this. No issues will use revlogin script instead.

Manu

• Does anyone have a script to pull out a list of sql logins with respective permissions under a sql instance?

• Hope this helps:

SET NOCOUNT ON

Drop Table #Usersdetail

Create Table #Usersdetail

(

IDintidentity(1,1),

DBName sysname collate database_default Null

,DBRole sysname collate database_default Null

,MemberName sysname collate database_default Null

,MemberSID sysname collate database_default Null

)

EXEC master..sp_MSForeachdb'

BEGIN

Declare @counter int

Select @counter=count(*) from #Usersdetail

INSERT INTO #Usersdetail(DBRole,MemberName,MemberSID)

EXEC ?..sp_helprolemember

BEGIN

Update #Usersdetail set DBName=''?'' where ID>=@counter

END

END'

--Select 'Use '+ DBName+char(10)+'Go'+char(10)+' sp_addrolemember '+''''+DBRole+''''+ ','+''''+MemberName+'''' from #Usersdetail

--Select LoginName, UserName, GroupName from #Usersdetail where UserName not like 'dbo' and LoginName is not NULL and groupname<>'public'

select usd.* from #Usersdetail usd

JOIN MASTER.DBO.SYSLOGINS SL

ON SL.SID=USD.MEMBERSID

AND SL.ISNTUSER=0

DROP TABLE #Usersdetail

MJ

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply