Script Databases

• There's a great article over at Simple-Talk[/url] on how to script out database objects using PowerShell. I decided to try it out.

I can't get it to work. I keep getting an error. It doesn't output to the error log either. I had to discover it by running the script in debug mode in PowerGUI.

It fails at this command

$tableset = get-childitem $path-ErrorAction stop |

with this error:

Cannot call method. The provider does not support the use of filters.

System.Management.Automation.PSNotSupportedException: Cannot call method. The provider does not support the use of filters.

at System.Management.Automation.Provider.CmdletProvider.set_Context(CmdletProviderContext value)

at System.Management.Automation.Provider.NavigationCmdletProvider.MakePath(String parent, String child, CmdletProviderContext context)

at System.Management.Automation.SessionStateInternal.MakePath(CmdletProvider providerInstance, String parent, String child, CmdletProviderContext context)

Any guidance?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• And while I'm on it, I've run Powershell scripts against SQL Server 2008 before. I created a silly little test script for placing a load on a copy of AdventureWorks and it ran just fine. I'm pretty sure I've got PowerShell installed & configured correctly.

Here's the successful script:

$val = 0;

while ($val -lt 255)

{$val++;

Invoke-sqlcmd -Server "Myserver" -Database "AdventureWorks2008" -Query "SELECT * FROM Person.Address AS a WHERE city LIKE '' + CHAR($val) + '%'";

Invoke-sqlcmd -Server "Myserver" -Database "AdventureWorks2008" -Query "SELECT * FROM production.Product AS p WHERE p.ProductNumber LIKE '' + CHAR($val) + '%'";

$val2 = 59;

while ($val2 -gt 57)

{$val2--;

Invoke-sqlcmd -Server "Myserver" -Database "AdventureWorks2008" -Query "SELECT * FROM Sales.SalesOrderHeader AS soh WHERE soh.SalesOrderNumber LIKE 'SO' + CAST($val2 AS VARCHAR) + '%'";

}

}

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Hello,

I believe that statement is spread over two lines...

$tableset =get-childitem $path -ErrorAction stop |

where-object {$_.displayname -like $tables}

The statement

$tableset =get-childitem $path -ErrorAction stop |

by itself won't work and caused issue at my end as well.

• Ah... perfect. Thanks.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply