Scrambling of Data

• Hi, can anyone recommend a script or other third party software to scramble pieces of personal data like names and email addresses in a short amount of time ? I have found one particular script that does work, however the result is achieved in several hours to scramble 3 columns over less than 100000 rows. Is there anything that can cut scramble time down and achieve the same result ? Perhaps hours down to minutes...

Thanks in Advance.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  AstrayAway.
  • Have you taken a look at Redgate's Data Masker? You can download it for a free trial period and see if it is suitable.

We're looking at purchasing it here, to mask sensitive data, so we can use our multi-terabyte database for testing without exposing sensitive information outside of our live environment.

Of course, there's a cost involved and I have no knowledge of any free products that work as well as this.

• A manual script shouldn't take hours for that amount of data. I'd investigate exactly how it's doing what it's doing.

Regardless, another vote for Data Masker. Although I do work for Redgate, I still think it's one of the most flexible tools out there. Here's one of a series of articles I wrote about masking data in more sophisticated ways using Data Masker.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks for your suggestions, I'll be sure to check out Data Masker. Has anyone here had any experience with DataVeil as a possible solution ?

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply