SCOM 2012 management pack and/or MDW

• Hi I was wondering does anyone have experience with SCOM 2012 w/sql server management pack. Wondering how are you using it? Also do you use another monitor solution as well. For example MDW to capture DMVs and and extended events. I've heard it's

Tedious and not as easy that conplimenting SCOM with MDW good strategy. I haven't seen many posts on this but thought I'd ask abiut people's experience with it. Thanks 🙂

--------------------------------------------------
    ...0.05 points per day since registration... slowly crawl up to 1 pt per day hopefully 😀

• I was using the MDW for a while until I realised that the MDW database size had exploded to 200 GB with about 10 Instances.

Ensure you configure the frequency of the data-collections accordingly from the start.

I also found that the purge job didn't work properly either. I'm not sure if this has been fixed.

Keep us informed if you use SCOM 2012 as I hope to be using this fairly soon.

• thunderousity (11/22/2013)

I was using the MDW for a while until I realised that the MDW database size had exploded to 200 GB with about 10 Instances.

Ensure you configure the frequency of the data-collections accordingly from the start.

I also found that the purge job didn't work properly either. I'm not sure if this has been fixed.

Keep us informed if you use SCOM 2012 as I hope to be using this fairly soon.

Thanks for the forewarning. I have only deployed it for a test server, I think I need to look up how to add additional DMVs into the MDW. Also will look into adding some type of extended event collection probably. (not sure how yet)

I don't think SCOM can do it all, but I'm concerned about the MDW performance as it has more data... also how to "age" data as well as consideration of partition tables/data... Not sure if someone out there has already tried or come across issues.

I'll keep everyone posted for those interested on SCOM 2012. I've seen it, and it's fairly intuitive to capture the basics for perfmon counters, cpu, disk utilization. But I think the deeper things for research using DMVs might consider MDW.

--------------------------------------------------
    ...0.05 points per day since registration... slowly crawl up to 1 pt per day hopefully 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply