SCD Insert/Updates In Staging And Live Database??

• Hi All

So we are a 24/7 operation so for my new/first DW I have a STAGING DB for the data/ETL and a LIVE database for the Fact and Dim tables - happy days!
    I have an SCD which is normalised so pretty much the same as the original tables (lets CategoryID and a CategoryName ) and at the moment I am thinking
    that if the Categories are changed/created in the source DB I need to check for these changes and update my Staging data and then check changes in Staging
    and update my Live SCD with the changes..

I'm happy do that if that is standard practice or I am also happy to bypass Staging DB and just update my Live SCDs from the source DB?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Mattie

• MattieG72 - Saturday, May 20, 2017 3:59 PM

Hi All

So we are a 24/7 operation so for my new/first DW I have a STAGING DB for the data/ETL and a LIVE database for the Fact and Dim tables - happy days!
    I have an SCD which is normalised so pretty much the same as the original tables (lets CategoryID and a CategoryName ) and at the moment I am thinking
    that if the Categories are changed/created in the source DB I need to check for these changes and update my Staging data and then check changes in Staging
    and update my Live SCD with the changes..

I'm happy do that if that is standard practice or I am also happy to bypass Staging DB and just update my Live SCDs from the source DB?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Mattie

For simplicity and consistency, I'd recommend keeping exactly the same process for all source DB changes.
    If your current process is source to staging to DW, do it that way.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Sunday, May 21, 2017 6:57 AM

For simplicity and consistency, I'd recommend keeping exactly the same process for all source DB changes.
    If your current process is source to staging to DW, do it that way.

I agree with Phil 100%.  If you have a standard process for loading and it's implemented in many places, to have a one-off throws people who will have to work on it later.  Also, since this is your first assignment on it, you don't want to ignore the standards and go off in a different direction.  I'm not saying that writing a new process is necessarily a bad thing, but wait until you know the standard, understand the nuances of it and understand any problems before you fix it.

• Thanks all, sound advice all round 🙂

Mattie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply