Scary Data Collection

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Scary Data Collection

• If this is how landlords want to be, then when checking into a rental, I'm temporarily pulling the plug on the internet router, except maybe for the couple of hours that I may spend streaming a movie.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Thanks for the great post. This is a critical time for our society to decide how much we wish to become like the citizens in Orwell's 1984. Our personal liberty is at stake, and it should be the government's role to regulate unethical corporations and individuals effectively. I hope the GDPR is successful and adopted globally.

The AirBnB case is a typical example of how much an unregulated business cares for your privacy and rights. Until it may affect their bottom line they won't lift a finger to protect you. No doubt this attitude is also a reflection of the level of effort to implement security around your personal data, and is responsible for many data breaches. Only apathy on our part, and lack of pressure on the government will let this get out of control.

MattF

• I remember my college instructors telling us back about Big Brother watching back in the 80's.  And in the 90's, my instructors told use about Carnivore, a surveillance system the watched for certain words or phrases that were exchanged across the internet.

• The AirBnB case is NOT an instance of  " a typical example of how much an unregulated business cares for your privacy ". The invasion was done by the homeowner, and AirBnB terminates accounts of those who do that (not to defend Airbnb because they've done other stuff, but that was not a regulation issue)

The problem is that the 'regulator' turns out to be the government, often the most dangerous threat to privacy

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXryfSdhkLM

• jay-h wrote:

The AirBnB case is NOT an instance of  " a typical example of how much an unregulated business cares for your privacy ".

AirBnB exonerated the owner then only banned them once the family took further action on social media. Sounds like they were caring more for their business than the victims.

MattF

• I wonder if Jeff Bezos has Alexa turned on in his home, or if Lary Page uses Google Nest for home monitoring. I suspect they probably don't, or maybe they use a special VIP service that doesn't allow monitoring of recordings under any circumstances.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• True their customer service lackey did not seem to understand. In truth I bet this is FAR more common than the cases exposed. Discovery is likely close to impossible in many cases. I'd never rent my home out, I'd never stay in situations like this. No matter how strict the company may get, most cases will never be detected.

Interestingly too, though is that this was in Ireland, apparently GPDR did not help much.

Owners of exotic cars have a concern about parking valets going nuts (true, I was once unexpectedly a passenger in a situation like hat). When interior recording was added to the security system of Corvettes, GM had to later disable it because it was illegal in many places.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  jay-h.

• Sticky situations.  On one hand people are entitled to their privacy.  But, on the other hand, entities (companies, governments, etc.) have security needs.  Example: Landlords are looking for ways to ensure their properties are not damaged, and if damage occurs, that the parties responsible for the damages are accountable.  GPDR is the starting point in a long process.

• Dinosaur wrote:

Sticky situations.  ...

GPDR is the starting point in a long process.

This might be the key

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply