Saving a SQL record from Access

• I'm fairly new to SQL and experienced with Access. We just converted an Access database to SQL Server with an Access front end. The person who created this database did not normalize, and some tables have as many as 80 fields.

The application has a form that opens one of these huge records, in that form, you can click on a button that will bring up another form that edits data in the same record. From that 2nd form, you can print a report that is supposed to include the information just entered. However, it's not saving the record until you exit the entire record. There is a save record command being done in the macro before the report is printed.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can save this record in SQL Server without closing the form?

• Hi. I don't like to say this but I've found MSACCESS a bit of a blunt instrument as a front-end tool to an Industrial-Strength RDBMS like SQLServer.

Without knowing your app, you could try having your save procedure call a stored-procedure in SQLServer, rather than relying on the movement through the set as ACCESS appears to be doing

I have found it is possible to please all of the people all of the time if you do exactly what they want. Harold Macmillan 1961

• Thanks for responding, and I'll try that. We are re-doing the application, but in the meantime it's a problem. We moved the data to SQL Server because it was crashing so much - it's a really big database. The crashing has stopped, but there are new worries now. I'm working through them one by one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply