SAN Storage

• Hi Every one,

We are migrating our existing Storage setup to the new HP SAN which has 2 TB of Space.....

i have a query here!

If we allocate a 50G of LUN initially for SQL Server 2005, cannot we expand the size of the

LUN after the allocated 50G has been finisihed.

Do we have any issues with SQL Server 2005 while expanding the LUN?

Please help me out!

Nag

[font="Arial"]Naga Raju Appani[/font]

• This LUN extend capabilities may depend on the kind of san you have.

HP xyz ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• what our HP vendor was saying that, we can expand the LUN, but SQL Server 2005 has some formatting issues. As per the HP Storage is concerned. it is HP DL380 G5 Storage server.

[font="Arial"]Naga Raju Appani[/font]

• If you don't trust what your vendor is telling you, get a new vendor.

I would assume they are correct - they have probably sold these before. Most SAN's will allow you to expand a LUN these days. In some cases, this causes some file-system level anomalies that open files (SQL Server files are always open when the database services are running) do not handle well. They probably have a procedure for expanding a LUN with a SQL database file on it - follow their procedure.

If you are new to SAN's, read up on them. Although they can be solutions for some problems, they can also be problems themselves. Make sure your configuration is correct for your data and log files.

• If you are not strong in the SAN world, I would STRONGLY recommend contracting with HP to do your initial install and setup so they can make sure it is done correctly. Then go to their training on their product (don't take an aftermarket course since they won't know exactly how the product works; too many things will be riding on your success). As Michael very accurately stated, "Although they can be solutions for some problems, they can also be problems themselves."

My previous employer installed a SAN and did just as I recommended here. Not only was it a success, it dramatically improved performance and reduced TCO. Interestingly enough, the Senior Network Engineer told me after his training that it was VERY valuable. He had several misconceptions about how the SAN should be setup and very likely would have degraded performance had he not taken the training in the first place.

• that's probably the best way to be sure your configuration meets at least your initial goals.

And as always, if it doesn't make sence for you, check your preception to the one other(s) have and get it cleared out!

Johan

• I'd ask questions and read up!

What happens to performance if you extend LUNS? etc.

Colin has some good SAN/DB articles at the following URL

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/archive/tags/SAN/default.aspx

Steven

• ok this one whould provide you enough info:

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2005/12/09/extending-cluster-storage.aspx

• I would like to add that it has been my experience that SAN vendor consultants know VERY little about how to optimally configure a SAN for SQL Server storage needs. I have had to tell (and prove to) more than one CTO or VPIT that their SAN investment was CAUSING them database performance problems, not minimizing them.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (6/26/2008)

I would like to add that it has been my experience that SAN vendor consultants know VERY little about how to optimally configure a SAN for SQL Server storage needs. I have had to tell (and prove to) more than one CTO or VPIT that their SAN investment was CAUSING them database performance problems, not minimizing them.

Unfortunatly very true. And I would add that few system admins understand the need we have as well.

• TheSQLGuru (6/26/2008)

I would like to add that it has been my experience that SAN vendor consultants know VERY little about how to optimally configure a SAN for SQL Server storage needs. I have had to tell (and prove to) more than one CTO or VPIT that their SAN investment was CAUSING them database performance problems, not minimizing them.

That is why you hire an engineer from the vendor rather than just a consultant. The engineer who came for my previous employer did an outstanding job. I couldn't have imagined SQL working as well as it did when we moved the databases to the SAN.

• jim.powers (6/26/2008)

TheSQLGuru (6/26/2008)

That is why you hire an engineer from the vendor rather than just a consultant. The engineer who came for my previous employer did an outstanding job. I couldn't have imagined SQL working as well as it did when we moved the databases to the SAN.

You misunderstood me. I was saying that consultants FROM the SAN vendor company itself are poorly trained and not knowledgeable in how to optimally configure their company's SAN for SQL Server workloads. Obviously there are exceptions - I have just never found one yet.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• ... san vendor install technician knowledge ...

Altough most SAN vendors nowadays have their own white papers for hosting databases on their san system, many technicians just don't have a clue and stick to "our system is the best and does not need anything special for your needs".

Ask them for their white papers ! and read and interprete them before your do any configuration on the san.

General guidelines for DB files on SAN: same as with DASD !

So what's special with the san ? You can have a very good impact underneet the surface and by controling that have your san perform the best for your systems AND for your company ! (not everyone has a dedecated DBServer SAN )

Johan

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply